Police say same man likely entered bedrooms of female NU students in separate incidents

Julia Jacobs, City Editor

Police suspect the same man entered the bedrooms of three female Northwestern students in two separate incidents Sunday morning, an official said.

Police were called to a house across the street from campus in the 1900 block of Orrington Avenue at about 6 a.m. after a 21-year-old female resident heard someone attempting to enter her locked bedroom door, said Evanston police Cmdr. Joseph Dugan. When the woman’s roommates did not respond to her text messages, she called the police, Dugan said.

Another resident of the house, a 19-year-old woman, told police she was laying in bed that morning when an unknown man entered her room, he said. The woman told police the man was lifting the sheet off her bed when she said “excuse me,” causing him to turn around and leave the room.

The women described the intruder as a man between 20 and 25 years old, about 6 feet tall and between 150 and 160 pounds, Dugan said. They also said the man wore a black shirt and light colored blue jeans and was either white or Hispanic, Dugan said.

Police found the rear door of the house unlocked with no signs of forced entry, Dugan said.

Later that day at about 1 p.m., police received a call from two women living at a house in the 1900 block of Sherman Avenue reporting a similar incident that occurred earlier that morning. One of the women, who are both 21, told police a man had opened her bedroom door and entered the room at about 6 a.m., Dugan said. When the woman spoke up, the man apologized and left the room.

The other woman said the man also entered her room, where he activated a lighter before she said something, causing him to leave the room, Dugan said. Both women had thought the man was a guest in the house before realizing in the morning he was not.

Police believe the incidents are connected because they occurred near to one another at about the same time, Dugan said. The two homes on Orrington and Sherman avenues are about two blocks apart.

Twitter: @juliarebeccaj