SESP Prof. Alexandra Solomon chosen for Last Lecture

Madeline Fox, Assistant Campus Editor

SESP Prof. Alexandra Solomon, an assistant professor in the Master of Science in Marriage and Family Therapy program, was selected to give the Last Lecture on June 17 to the graduating senior class.

A licensed clinical psychologist, Solomon has helped teach the popular class “Marriage 101: Building Loving and Lasting Relationships,” which teaches students about healthy relationships and interpersonal problem-solving.

Solomon received her doctorate from NU in 2001 and has been featured in The Atlantic and other news outlets. The School of Education and Social Policy professor also teaches a graduate class called Intimate Relations I, which teaches students about love, intimacy and commitment to prepare them for working in couples therapy, one of her specializations.

Solomon was one of four professors in the running to give the lecture to the class of 2015, but nominee African American Studies Prof. Barnor Hesse withdrew from consideration last week after he found his biography on the ballot “demeaning and insulting.” He said it played into racist tropes and reduced him to “the joker in the pack.”

Ticket sales for the Last Lecture, which will take place at The Cubby Bear bar in downtown Chicago, and all other Senior Week events started Thursday morning.

Twitter: @MadelineFox14