Northwestern offers winter bike storage for first time

Olivia Exstrum, Campus Editor

Northwestern offered winter bike storage for the first time this year. Students were able to drop off their bikes at 1835 Hinman, Ayers College of Commerce and Industry and Sargent Hall in early December and early January. Bikes will be available to take out of storage beginning the first week of Spring Quarter.

“We saw a need with bikes being left out in the cold all winter,” said Danielle Burke, an area residence director. “We were able to locate some spaces and clear out room in the buildings where we thought it would be most beneficial.”

Burke said 105 bikes were in storage as of Wednesday evening. She said storage was most popular at the 1835 Hinman location.

Burke said although this is a new program for the University, she believes some buildings, predominantly on North Campus, had their own bike rooms available for residents. However, she said this is the first service that guarantees a secure space for students to store their bikes. Students must sign in when they bring their bike and sign out when they pick it up.

Burke said she also believes that in the past there were outside vendors that allowed students to store their bikes elsewhere for a fee.

She said the service so far has been “well-received,” and that Residential Services plans to continue the program.

Twitter: @olivesocean