Taco Diablo owner looks to relocate restaurant destroyed by fire

Paige Leskin, Reporter

The owner of Taco Diablo, an Evanston restaurant destroyed by a fire in December, is looking to rebuild his restaurant across the street from its original storefront.

Mark Muenzer, Evanston director of Community Development, said owner Daniel Kelch submitted a zoning request to the city a few weeks ago that proposes to tear down an existing storefront at 1026 Davis St., across the road from the restaurant’s original Davis Street location, and replace it with a two-story building. The new space is about a block from the Davis Street CTA station.

The request says the new building would include Taco Diablo and another unidentified restaurant which would be both be located on the ground floor with additional room open for retail use. The second floor would be used for event and outdoor space for the restaurants, Muenzer said.

Taco Diablo, a Mexican restaurant formerly located at 1029 Davis St., was destroyed in an early morning fire that took firefighters from nine different departments about four hours to extinguish. Pine Yard Restaurant and TechniColour Nail & Day Spa were also destroyed in the fire.

The new storefront would replace the one currently housing Tom Thumb Hobbies & Crafts, which is moving to a new location, according to its website.

The Site Plan and Appearance Review Committee is scheduled on Wednesday to review plans for the property from Kelch and Marty Cless, owner of the plot at 1026 Davis St. After SPAARC, the proposal would have to be approved by the Zoning Board of Appeals and the City Council, Muenzer said.

Twitter: @paigeleskin