Info session discusses commercial driving, job openings

Katherine Richter/The Daily Northwestern

Jesse Ivory, manager of business and community programs at Oakton Community College, speaks at an open house for a commercial driving certification course Tuesday evening at the Levy Senior Center.

Katherine Richter, Repoter

About 40 Evanston residents gathered at an information session Tuesday evening to introduce a commercial driving course to help workers navigate what speakers described as an open job market.

“There’s so many jobs, and there are not enough people to fill the jobs,” said Jesse Ivory, the manager of business and community programs at Oakton Community College. “I don’t have enough people to meet their demand.”

The session, held at the Levy Senior Center, 300 Dodge Ave., detailed an eight-week course to train participants to become truck drivers. It includes classroom teaching and hands-on driving lessons, all in preparation to take the Commercial Driver’s License exam at the end. Evanston held the program in partnership with Oakton, who regularly offers this kind of short-term comprehensive certificate training in high job growth areas.

The course also offers networking and resume assistance opportunities to improve job readiness. Ivory, who led the session, said there were 22,000 driver job openings in 2012.

She added that individuals interested in the course should realize that newly hired truck drivers generally begin with long distance driving instead of local routes, which could impact their relationships. Employees may work day or night, and hours often exceed 70 per week.

“It’s important to understand the impact on family,” Ivory said.

Another speaker, Stephanie Duncan, spoke about funding with the Workforce Investment Act,created in 1998 to offer occupational training to improve upon existing skills or re-train individuals for a new career.

“(Evanston and Oakton) are partnering to increase skills and training to get individuals employed,” Duncan said.

Those interested in WIA financial and training support were advised to set up one-on-one appointments. Eligibility includes dislocated worker eligibility, which assists those laid off in Cook County. Low-income eligibility reaches individuals collecting food stamps and meeting other guidelines.

Unlike with some commercial driving courses, eligible individuals can qualify for tuition assistance for up to 100 percent of the program’s cost — a sum of $4,000 — through WIA.

Attendee Emily Smith said although the session was “informative,” it was very focused on those who are unemployed — a position she is not familiar with.

“I was disappointed about the government financial options,” she said. “So many employed people fall into the middle bracket and cannot get aid.”

Still,  Ivory was pleased with the turnout and interest in the course, primarily the short-term education aspect.

“I was anticipating 15, and the entire room was full,” Ivory said. “We wanted to take our second pilot program into Evanston, and this attendance shows we’re offering a high demand program.”

The course, which has a 10-person capacity, does not require participants to have a high school diploma. It will specifically cover pre-trip inspections, accident procedures and driving in diverse conditions such as fog and mountains.

Twitter: @krichter_medill