Chemistry professor tapped for Nobel Prize watch list

Chemistry Prof. Chad Mirkin was named a 2013 Thomson Reuters Citation Laureate. Mirkin, an expert in nanotechnology, is being recognized for his contributions to DNA nanotechnology.
Source: Weinberg College of Arts and Sciences

Chemistry Prof. Chad Mirkin is one of 28 researchers to be named a 2013 Thomson Reuters Citation Laureate in the annual pre-Nobel Prize “Thomson Reuters Predicts Nobel Laureates” study.

The study looks at research being done in four general areas — medicine, physics, chemistry and economics — and picks its laureates based on who is cited the most in other research.

“Given their scientific achievements and acclaim of their peers (as measured by citations), the 2013 Citation Laureates are “of Nobel class,'” the study notes.

In addition to teaching chemistry, Mirkin is a professor of medicine, chemical and biological engineering, biomedical engineering and materials science and engineering. He is also the director of NU’s International Institute for Nanotechnology.

“Chad Mirkin has published 11 research papers that have each been cited more than 1,000 times,” the study says. “His most-cited report, with nearly 3,000 citations, concerns a method of using DNA to assemble nanoparticles into larger and more useful materials.”

Three of the seven researchers lauded for their work in chemistry are in the field of nanotechnology. Mirkin is joined by University of California, Berkeley Prof. A. Paul Alivisatos and New York University Prof. Nadrian Seeman.

— Joseph Diebold