1 dead in west Evanston fire

Back to Article
Back to Article

1 dead in west Evanston fire

Evanston firefighters and officials examine the damage of a fire Wednesday evening. The blaze broke out in the 1900 block of Hartrey Avenue.

Edward Cox/The Daily Northwestern

Edward Cox/The Daily Northwestern

Edward Cox/The Daily Northwestern

Marshall Cohen, Managing Editor

An Evanston man died this evening after an apartment fire on the city’s west side, city manager Wally Bobkiewicz said.

The blaze broke out shortly after 5 p.m. in the 1900 block of Hartrey Avenue, Bobkiewicz said. The Evanston Fire Department had the fire under control within the hour.

The man was injured in the fire and taken to Evanston Hospital in critical condition but later died, Bobkiewicz said.

A police officer who discovered the fire while patrolling the area was treated for smoke inhalation, Evanston Police Cmdr. Jay Parrott said. The officer is currently in good condition.

“The fire is being inspected for cause and origin,” Parrott said in an email to The Daily. “It is way too early for any determination as to how it started.”

The apartment is located near Evanston Township High School and the city’s border with Skokie.

— Marshall Cohen

About the Writer
Marshall Cohen, Managing Editor

Marshall Cohen was a managing editor of The Daily. His other past positions include City editor and deputy City editor. He is from Livingston, N.J., and...