Overnight storm dumps more than 4 inches of rain on Evanston

Heavy rain overnight left University Place and some Sorority Quad buildings flooded. City officials believe the brunt of the storm is over.

Arabella Watters/The Daily Northwestern

Arabella Watters/The Daily Northwestern

Manuel Rapada, Breaking News Editor

Northwestern students woke up to flooded buildings and streets this morning after more than 4 inches of rain soaked Evanston overnight.

The heavy precipitation has closed the Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center, as well as canceled lunch and dinner at the dining hall inside Willard Residential College. Students should also expect 45-minute delays on the Intercampus Shuttle route.

City crews have been working since 6 a.m. to address more than 80 complaints of basement flooding, utility director Dave Stoneback said on a conference call.

The city has also received more than 50 complaints about street and alley flooding, which Stoneback said are a lower priority.

Residents have been reporting flooding through the city’s 311 system, which has already taken twice as many calls than it usually takes in a day, citizen engagement manager Erika Storlie said on the conference call.

The brunt of the storm, however, is over. The city anticipates up to another half inch by tonight, but the next wave will be more scattered and sporadic than this morning’s rainfall, said Jim Maiworm, streets and sanitation superintendent.

— Manuel Rapada

About the Writer
Manuel Rapada, Web Editor
Manuel Rapada is a Medill senior studying journalism, business institutions and integrated marketing communications. His past positions at The Daily include city editor, social media/breaking news editor and managing editor. The San Francisco Bay Area native is also a counselor with the Office of Undergraduate Admission. He has previously worked for GreatSchools, Adobe and GOOD...