Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Students call for support following Boston Marathon tragedy

Northwestern students are organizing a community response to the deadly blasts during the Boston Marathon earlier this week.

The Associated Student Government Senate on Wednesday unanimously passed a resolution calling on students to contribute to relief efforts and offer emotional support. Earlier in the day, the Chaplain’s Office announced it will hold a candlelight vigil 8 p.m. Monday at The Rock.

“I think it’s always important for ASG and senators to really support our community,” ASG president Victor Shao said. “Whenever we can stand in solidarity with the rest of the Northwestern community, we should.”

The back-to-back explosions near the finish line Monday killed three people and injured 140 more.

Senators voted to move the Boston Marathon resolution from new business to old business so that it could be passed Wednesday night. The original resolution was amended to include a line that encourages students to seek out mental health resources on campus if they feel they need them, including Counseling and Psychological Services, the Women’s Center and the Chaplain’s Office.

The resolution noted the impact the marathon had on NU and the surrounding community. One NU student ran in the marathon, and 19 Evanston residents were registered. The student and the Evanston runners reportedly did not suffer any major injuries in the deadly explosions.

University President Morton Schapiro is expected to attend the vigil, which will consist of personal stories and all-inclusive prayer from student representatives of the Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Hindu faiths. In case it rains, the memorial will be moved Alice Millar Chapel.

“This is certainly a tragic event, and it’s something that affects all of us, even if we weren’t there or we don’t know anyone who was directly impacted,” University Chaplain Tim Stevens said.

Correction: A previous version of this story misstated the time of the vigil. It will be at 8 p.m. The story also mischaracterized Senate procedure. The legislation was moved from new business to old business so it could be passed. The Daily regrets the errors.