Zagat names Edzo’s best burger in Chicago

Restaurant rating publication Zagat named Evanston’s Edzo’s Burger Shop the best burger in Chicago in a nationwide burger survey published Monday on its website.

Zagat surveyed 25 major cities nationwide to compile its list of “America’s Best Burgers,” naming one burger place in each city. The restaurants are scored on their food, decor, service and cost.

“We hope this helps you navigate the best patties for your palate,” the Zagat post said.

Edzo’s, 1571 Sherman Ave., received one of the highest scores for food and occupied the lower end of the cost range with $12. It received a below average score for decor. Zagat’s brief review praised the restaurant for “thick malts in terrific flavors” and numerous customization options but also noted the store’s “nonexistent” decor, short operation hours and “crazy long lines.”

Scott Brooker, a manager at Edzo’s, said the restaurant was “ecstatic” to receive the Zagat review.

“We feel great about it,” Brooker said.

The restaurant distinguishes itself from other burger places by grinding its burgers fresh in the house, he said. It also features upgraded beef options, such as free-range cattle raised in Midwestern farms.

“When you eat a burger here, it’s coming from one muscle from one cow,” Brooker said. “That alone screams quality and dedication to me.”

The restaurant opened a second branch in Chicago’s Lincoln Park in December. Brooker said the menus will not change.

“We have no tricks other than doing what we do,” he said.

— Jia You