The Week That Was: Week of Oct. 28

Homecoming parade and pep rally

On Friday night, the Northwestern community, joined by alumni and staff, paraded down Sheridan Road to wrap up Homecoming week. Grand marshal J.A. Adande (Medill ’92) led the parade from the Henry Crown Sports Pavilion and Aquatics Center to Deering Meadow for a pep rally. Adande, a panelist for ESPN’s “Around the Horn” and a senior writer for ESPN.com, University President Morton Schapiro and Burgwell Howard, assistant vice president for student engagement, electrified the crowd one night before the Homecoming game against Iowa.

Victory against Iowa

Ryan Field was covered with NU students and alumni bleeding purple inside out on Saturday. Bouncing back from a disappointing loss against the Cornhuskers last week, the Wildcats dominated the running game with over 300 yards on the ground. Just as students are getting past the first wave of midterms so they can finally breathe a sigh of relief, our players finally get to relax this bye week. Oh wait, the next wave is coming up.

Knockout Autism with the NU basketball teams 

NU’s Autism Speaks U and the men’s and women’s basketball teams hosted Knockout Autism at SPAC on Monday. After paying a $5 registration fee, students received a free basketball, Autism Speaks U merchandise, and chances to win gift cards to Cheesie’s and Buffalo Wild Wings, as well as the grand prize. The Knockout Champion is allowed to attend a practice and meal with the men’s basketball team, with all proceeds from the event going to Autism Speaks U.

Undergraduate Chemistry Council hosts Eberhard Halloween Show 

Students attended the famous Eberhard Halloween Show on Wednesday in the Technological Institute. Students enrolled in general chemistry lab classes were given limited tickets, while those not enrolled had to reserve tickets ahead of time. Prof. Eberhard Zwergel is a senior lecturer in the Department of Chemistry. In addition to the explosions and other interesting experiments, he coordinates the music and dance with the Undergraduate Chemistry Council. It is definitely a must-see before leaving NU and the one time humanities majors wish they were taking chemistry.

The Week That Was: Week of Oct. 28