Skaters hit the ice for 36th annual spring show

Songs from sources ranging from the television show “Smash” to the Broadway musical “Wicked” set the mood for the Robert Crown Skating School’s 36th annual spring show this weekend.

The yearly performance at the Robert Crown Community Center and Ice Complex, 1701 Main St., showcased both students and professionals from the Figure Skating School and Competitive Practice Ice Program. This year’s show was called “Musicals in Motion,” and more than 80 local children, teens and professional skaters performed.

The event is held every year, but the songs and show themes change annually. This year, musical selections included songs from television shows “Glee” and “Smash,” popular movies “High School Musical” and “The Muppets,” and Broadway plays including “Mamma Mia,” “Jersey Boys,” and “Wicked.”

Evanston resident Lily Cigan watched her 8-year-old daughter Zoe perform in the show. Her daughter skated to the Addams Family theme song before performing with her skill-level group.

“They had a rehearsal every week for six weeks for this,” Cigan said. “She loves doing the show. The older girls help them get ready, and it’s a big social thing for them.”

Skill levels ranged from beginning skaters to advanced competitive students and professionals. The show also featured soloists from beginning children’s to adult classes held at the Robert Crown Ice Complex.

Feinberg Prof. Tony Mancini’s two daughters also performed in the show. Mancini, a professor of pediatrics and dermatology, said this year’s show was more laidback than it was in past years.

“We’re of course very proud,” Mancini said of his daughters Mallory and Mackenzie. “They both did well. They spend a lot of time on the ice.”

Mallory, 16, has been skating for 10 years and will focus on synchronized figure skating competitions after she achieves senior status in the free skate category – the highest level in freestyle skating, according to U.S. Figure Skating. She skated to The Supremes’ 1966 hit “You Keep Me Hangin’ On,” a performance that she has been prepping for since early April.

The Robert Crown Ice Complex provides a variety of skating classes and services throughout the year, including public skating, ice skating, figure skating, hockey and speedskating. Group classes range from beginner to advanced and specialized, training young athletes for international skating tests and competitions.