Faculty-Student Speakout highlights difference between social, cultural diversity

Following a string of similar discussions over the past few weeks, Northwestern students and faculty discussed the distinction between social and cultural diversity, as well as ways to create a more inclusive campus environment, at a “Faculty-Student Speakout” on Monday. Despite being initially advertised as a forum in which students could hear from authors of the recently released diversity report, the discussion was eventually dominated by smaller student-based discussions, which faculty members supplemented throughout the evening. The event organizers, who are members of the recently formed student group NU4DiversityNow, hailed the evening’s activities as a step forward in strengthening dialogue about issues of diversity. Communication junior Jazzy Johnson, a leader of NU4DN and sitting member of the University Diversity Council, moderated the event and repeatedly emphasized the need for a safe atmosphere in which all voices could be heard. “Over the past few weeks, I think I’ve experienced the true culture of Northwestern,” said Johnson, referring to discussions about diversity that took place following multiple racially charged events on campus. “We need to use these events as an impetus to be open with each other, to be real with each other.” A major theme throughout the night was the difference between social diversity and cultural diversity. African American Studies Prof. Barnor Hesse, a co-chair of the working group that authored the diversity report, defined each interpretation of diversity as a separate “camp,” which he said made it difficult to arrive at a uniform understanding of what a diverse campus truly means. Hesse said the University is focused solely on bringing in students and faculty from various underrepresented ethnic groups, a practice he defined as social diversity. He argued for cultural diversity, which he said brings disparate groups together and encourages them to interact and learn from one another. “The University hasn’t taken up that idea. It resists that idea. It wants to go for photo shoots and statistics and demographics,” Hesse said. “And the one thing that the University would like to see go away is this issue from the public spectacle.” In an interview after Hesse’s speech, Dean of Students Burgwell Howard, who attended the earlier half of the event, said there were admittedly multiple ways to look at diversity, and that all members of the NU community needed to remain actively involved in approaching this issue. After speaking in smaller discussion groups throughout the evening, students also chimed in on this issue. Medill senior Dallas Wright recalled his attendance at Maysing, the Greek community’s annual dance and lip-syncing competition. Wright said he had felt like the music, which he did not select, catered to the event’s predominantly white audience. “They were letting our physical bodies participate,” Wright said. “But it was like they were saying, ‘You have to conform to our culture. Socially, we’ll allow you in.'” Another issue that came out of the group discussions was a proposal for tangible action over more passive forms of dialogue. In a direct address to the students in the audience, African American Studies and Asian American Studies Prof. Nitasha Sharma suggested to those in attendance that they make their demands more visible through class walkouts or non-violent boycotts. Some students said the next step is to involve more members of the NU community in the campus dialogue about diversity. Communication senior Kate Popovec pointed out that roughly 60 people were in attendance at the event, a small fraction of the entire NU undergraduate student body. “The people we need to impact now are the people who don’t get it,” Popovec said. “What we need to ask is, ‘How do we take the next step to get people to open their eyes and realize this is something to be spoken about and seen?'” Johnson closed the event on a similar note, encouraging the audience to sign a petition to the administration, which requests further implementation of the strategies outlined in the diversity report, and to get more involved in the student movement for greater diversity on campus. “We need to come together, and I’m ready,” Johnson said. “I’m ready.” [email protected]