More than Kansaku on a Friday night

With the not-so-recent Keg of Evanston crisis, many of you out there are still struggling to find inspiration to get your lazy butt off the couch for a night out on the town. Read on to rediscover what it means to be a true socialite at Northwestern. Go along, see and be seen, and always keep calm and party on… even if it means hanging out in the library.

MONDAY: Coffee shop chillin’

Head over to Kafein at 8 p.m. for the weekly open mic night. Found just blocks away campus at 1621 Chicago Ave. this place is open until 2 a.m. and has great coffee, milkshakes or any late-night fare. With chill and low-key vibes, it’s easy to make an entire night out of this event. Listen to poetry, comedians and music, then proceed to linger until closing after getting carried away in conversation.

TUESDAY: “Knot” your average pub

Whoever said the Celtic Knot Public House was overrated was wrong. First of all, it’s a pub and not a stereotypical college bar. Secondly, they have live Irish music seisiuns from 7 to 10 p.m. every Tuesday, open to all musicians. So come show NU your musical talents or jam out to the night’s performers. Located right off campus at 626 Church St., this gem has reasonably priced drinks and is the perfect place to jumpstart your busy week.

WEDNESDAY – Veg out after take-out

With the mid-week exhaustion kicking in, who needs McFadden’s when new episodes of “Modern Family” at 8 p.m., “Revenge” at 9 p.m. and “South Park” re-runs at 10 p.m. all air back-to-back? Make it a TV-night tradition for the rest of the quarter. We deserve to relax with a night of mindless television to ease out of Hump Day and into Thursday.

THURSDAY – Nerdwestern night

Notoriously the least social night at NU can easily be made into an adventure. After hitting the library (Periodicals or Reference if you are feeling especially chatty) head to Plex, the redheaded stepchild of NU dorms conveniently located just across Sheridan Road. Officially known as Foster-Walker Complex, this dining hall offers late-night meals from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday.

Student Advice: Freshman Kalyn Kahler said, “College is all about eating as much as possible. I love to hang out with my friends over endless bowls of cereal and put off studying for as long as possible.”

FRIDAY – Oh, the possibilities

Although not exactly on-campus, McGee’s Tavern & Grille can provide a well-needed break from the Evanston grind. Located on 950 West Webster Ave., McGee’s weekly After Work Party from 7 to 11 p.m. is the perfect place to blow off steam from the work week. The $20 cover charge includes open bar and unlimited food.

Student advice: Junior Nadina Gerlach, 21, said, “Make sure to go with a solid crew. McGee’s is definitely better with a fun group of people.”

Don’t feel like drinking? Come to the Hillel Center at 629 Foster St. for a Shabbat service at dinner. According to its website, Hillel offers Reform, Conservative and Orthodox services, and the meals are student-cooked, not to mention free!

Late night boredom? The Dearborn Observatory offers free viewing hours to the public from 9 to 11 p.m. every Friday night. From 9 to 10 p.m. reservations are required, but feel free to drop in at any time between 10 and 11 to put that astronomy credit to use for once.

SATURDAY – Sophisticated date night

Who knew the Piven Theatre Workshop, located just off campus at 927 Noyes St., has produced notable alumni Joan Cusack, Lara Flynn Boyle, Kate Walsh and Jeremy Piven?

Wow a love interest with an above-average date night. Support a local business and check out Noyes Street