Television’s latest must-watch: “Revenge”

If you find yourself craving the hyperbolic drama of soap operas and yet are too embarrassed to actually watch them, you should probably tune into “Revenge.”

The show follows Emily Thorne, formerly known as Amanda Clark, as she returns to her childhood home in the Hamptons in order to seek revenge on the people who framed her father for a crime of terrorism, thus leading him to lifelong imprisonment and subsequent death.

“Revenge” stars Emily Vancamp as the sweet and yet completely terrifying Emily Thorne, who will literally kill anyone or burn any bridges she has to in order to take down the Grayson family, who are primarily responsible for her father’s fate. She has managed to weasel her way into their lives by socializing, schmoozing, and most importantly dating the Graysons’ son, Daniel, played by Josh Bowman (Google him and commence swooning).

This series has already managed to tackle espionage, adultery, forbidden love, illegitimate children, people coming out of the closet, going back in the closet and fake identities, and it’s only halfway done with season 1.

The biggest surprise, however, is that the show manages to go overboard with drama without sacrificing too much else. Madeline Stowe, who plays the vicious Victoria Grayson, actually scored a Golden Globe nomination. Even though the Golden Globes are considered by some to be the Kim Kardashian to the Oscars’ Kate Middleton, her nomination somehow totally validated my unhealthy fascination with who Emily’s next unsuspecting victim may be. It’s pretty rare that a show about ritz, glamour and scandal in the Hamptons gets critically acclaimed, so if you’re not watching it, you best start now.

There has been a three-week hiatus (it feels like a year), but the show is returning this coming Wednesday. In the Feb. 15 episode, we will finally see Emily and Daniel’s engagement party, which was previewed in the pilot. The pilot implied that Daniel had been killed during the festivities, and we will finally learn the truth about who really died that day and who was the killer. Take your bets now, because I’m pretty sure no matter what the outcome is, you’ll be shocked. If the biggest cliffhanger of the whole season is being revealed on Feb. 15, I can’t even imagine what kinds of revelations and shockers will happen in the season finale. Tune in to ABC on Wednesdays at 9 p.m. to find out!

Mackenzie Bronk