That’s our Jam, Northwestern with University Archivist Kevin Leonard

Once you go through the maze of hallways filled with Soviet Union posters to reach Deering Library, you’ll find the information treasure trove that is the University Archives, run by head archivist Kevin Leonard. Leonard has been at Northwestern for over 30 years and first started working at the archives during his time as an NU undergraduate. He’s pretty much a walking encyclopedia of NU history. In honor of Founders’ Day this Saturday, Leonard sat down to chat about Northwestern music, movies, and television shows that have been a part of campus life over the years.

Excerpts:

The Current: Can you tell me any history on the alma mater? Have the lyrics always been the same?

Kevin Leonard: There have been subtle changes. The original lyrics were in Latin but Thomas Tyra composed the English lyrics in 1953.

The Current: What other songs have been used to show NU pride other than the alma mater?

KL: There are multiple fight songs. The most popular one is “Go U Northwestern” but “Rise Northwestern” was really popular, too.

The Current: What movies have been filmed on campus?

KL: There have been several. This list probably doesn’t have all the movies listed but some of the movies are Major League, Miracle on 34th Street and The Weather Man.

The Current: Are there any other movies that have brought attention to NU?

KL: There are movies where people wear Northwestern apparel or NU is mentioned. One example is The Devil Wears Prada, where the main character is a Medill graduate and a former chief editor of The Daily Northwestern. Another example is Mean Girls in which the characters mention NU a lot and [the movie] is Evanston-based. However, the filmmakers never received permission from Northwestern to use the university’s name.

The Current: What about TV shows with NU references?

KL: Northwestern operated its own Public Affairs TV show titled “Your Right to Say It.” There are plenty of Northwestern alumni who are TV stars and producers and write NU into their shows or wear NU apparel but there isn’t any show featuring NU prominently. In 1980, when the university dedicated the theater building, they brought a lot of theatrical and motion picture alumni back. A lot of them sang or did skits and it was filmed for TV, but it was a one-time thing.

-Kathy Hong