Pop-Up Art Loop transforms empty downtown storefronts into art galleries

Art galleries are popping up in downtown Chicago this month.

The Chicago Loop Alliance presents the Pop-Up Art Loop, which transforms empty storefronts into public art galleries. First Thursdays Gallery Walk, which will be held every first Thursday of the month June through October, changes each month, showcasing the different artists in Pop-Up Art Loop and their work.

MART, a non-profit art organization based in Ireland, will participate in the First Thursdays Gallery Walk on June 2.

Matthew Nevin, co-curator of MART, said the group’s exhibit “Invite or Reject” is part of a three-city show. “Invite or Reject” was built around the concept of Irish immigration to America in the early 1800s.

“Hopefully we will have a great turn out for the launch, where we will be showcasing new work from six Irish artists,” Nevin said. “We want to bring a slice of Irish life and art directly to the Chicago city center.”

Though the First Thursdays Gallery Walk allows more interaction for visitors and artists, the galleries are open throughout the month, as well, said Dillon Goodson, project coordinator of the Chicago Loop Alliance.

Pop-Up Art Loop allows artists to publicly show their work without having to pay for gallery space in the Loop area of downtown Chicago, Goodson said. It began in 2009 during the economic downturn to help boost the Loop area.

“By converting otherwise-vacant storefronts into temporary galleries, we have been able to contribute to the artistic rejuvenation of Chicago,” he said. “It just made sense for us to provide a once-a-month opportunity for people to enjoy our galleries while also doing our part to give back to a recovering economy by driving foot traffic to area stores in the evening hours.”

Since then, the Pop-Up Art Loop has attracted 500 visitors each month. For this upcoming month, the group has also partnered up with the Museum of Contemporary Art in addition to MART, Dillon said.

“The Pop-Up Art Loop program plays host to a diverse selection of art and artists from Chicago and across the world,” he said. “First Thursdays provide a great opportunity to see this ever-changing collection, while offering a social opportunity as well.”