Northwestern cancels Tuesday night classes

Northwestern has canceled Tuesday evening classes due to weather conditions, the University announced through its emergency notification system at about noon Tuesday.

All classes at the Evanston and Chicago campuses starting after 5 p.m. Tuesday were canceled, according to an e-mail sent to the entire NU community. University libraries will also close at 5 p.m.

The University will decide early Wednesday morning whether to cancel Wednesday classes, according to the e-mail.

Students, faculty and staff were also informed of the cancellation via text message.

NU last closed operations due to extreme winter weather on Jan. 15, 1979.

The forecast Tuesday morning called for two feet of snow within 24 hours and wind gusts up to 60 miles per hour. The National Weather Service has called the storm “life-threatening” and advised all residents to stay inside.

Check back for more updates throughout the afternoon and a full story in Wednesday’s newspaper.

This was first sent out as a breaking news alert. To be the first to know about what’s happening on campus and in Evanston, sign up for breaking news alerts here.

The full text of the e-mail is below:

This is a message from the Northwestern University emergency notification system. Today is Tuesday, February 1, 2011. The National Weather Service has issued a severe weather alert for the Chicago area with heavy snow possible tonight and tomorrow.

All classes starting after 5 p.m. today, February 1, have been cancelled. This includes all classes on both the Evanston and Chicago campuses. All University libraries will close at 5 p.m. today.

Supervisors may permit employees who need to leave early to do so.

Shuttle buses will operate for as long as it is considered safe to drive but delays are likely. Call the Shuttle Hotline 847-467-5284 for updates.

A decision on whether to cancel classes and close the University on Wednesday, Feb. 2 will be made early Wednesday morning. On Wednesday morning, the University will send an e-mail and text message with updated information on the University’s status. You may also check the Breaking News box on the Northwestern home page, www.northwestern.edu to find out whether the University is open or closed. If the University is closed that message will also be sent to Chicago-area media for inclusion in their school closing lists.

If the University is open but you believe it is unsafe to come to work, then you should stay home.