Thumbs: Aziz Ansari, bagless campaign, ASG

Thumbs up to… A&O, SASA and McSA bring Aziz Ansari

When the newsroom received the clue that an “Indian comedian” would be the A&O winter comedian, we immediately blew off the possibility of Aziz Ansari. “He’s way too expensive.” Well, dreams really do come true. In an epic collaboration between A&O, the South Asian Student Alliance, and the Muslim-cultural Students Association, Aziz Ansari is performing on campus on Jan. 28. Some students may still be reeling from last year’s winter comedian Tracy Morgan’s controversial routine. Whether he’s mocking R. Kelly, being Raaaaaaaandy (with eight a’s) or starring in Parks & Recreation, the guy is just hilarious. Let’s see if we can break some record selling out tickets for this one.

Thumbs up to… Groups push for bagless campaign

Northwestern isn’t exactly ahead of the curve when it comes to prioritizing environmental sustainability, so the Roosevelt Institute’s Environmental Campus Outreach at Fiedler Hillel’s new “bagless” campaign is a refreshing change of pace. Plastic bags, among other things, cost money, last forever and kill birds. Norris alone gave out around 90,000 of them last year. It is a campus issue that shows much room for improvement. We‘re cautiously optimistic for ECO’s efforts but would like to see more concrete proposals for the group’s efforts.

Thumbs down to… ASG cancels Senate

Last Wednesday, ASG Speaker of the Senate Tyris Jones citing a lack of ‘pressing’ issues. Apparently he didn’t want to waste the senators’ time. We at the Daily would like to think we understand what it means to be busy, yet as a daily paper, we still publish every day. Time is obviously valuable, and wasting it is never the ideal, so it is hard to believe that student government has absolutely nothing to work on. Each student paid $144 in ASG fees this year. It may not seem like much, but we hope it might cover the cost of weekly meeting.