Editorial: NUIT should improve outdated password system

As net-based hacking becomes more nefarious and frequent, maintaining the security of sensitive information on the Internet is an increasingly difficult challenge.

Northwestern University Information Technology must continue to improve our security system in order to keep up with these new challenges while updating existing password policies.

For students, coming up with intricate passwords every three months is an annoyance unique to Northwestern students. Out of the top 20 schools listed in U.S. News & World Report, NU requires its users to change their passwords most frequently.

According to NU’s Director of Technology Support Services, Wendy Woodward, the reason for the frequent changes is “old servers and services that could not handle longer or more secure passwords.”

That is concerning to say the least. We worry that outdated servers may present security problems because they are easier for hackers to infiltrate.

Woodward also noted that though the servers have been retired, students are still required to change their password every 120 days.

NU’s policy of frequently changing passwords is not necessarily the most efficient way to maintain security, either. According to The New York Times, a complex and often-changed password does not ensure greater security or efficiency.

For example, a keylogger, which records a user’s every keystroke, would enable a hacker to access even the most complicated of passwords.

Data security will always be an uphill battle with new challenges. It’s time for NUIT to recognize those new challenges and address them.