Updated: Internet restored for off-campus Northwestern students after 5-hour outage

Updated 12:15 a.m.

Hundreds of off-campus Northwestern students studying for exams on the night before Finals Week were unable to access the Internet at home for five hours Sunday night.

The issues resulted from a Comcast Internet outage that started at 7:30 p.m. for unknown reasons, according to The Chicago Tribune. It was restored at about 12:15 a.m.

NU facilities, including the Main University Library, were not affected because they do not use Comcast.

“It’s definitely the worst timing ever, especially since this is the one week of the year when it’s impossible to find a seat in the library or any cafe, plus most places in Evanston that provide food and Internet are closed early on Sundays,” said Kristin McCaffrey, a Weinberg senior. “And if one is lucky enough to find a seat in the library, chances of being near an outlet are slim.”

Weinberg senior MJ Scheer, who called the situation “catastrophic,” said NU administrators should consider giving across-the-board extensions for final papers and projects.

The online news organization Mediaite reported that the outage affected the four Midwest states – Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota and Michigan.

For instructions on how to access the Internet despite the issue, click here.

Check back for updates throughout the night.

This was sent out as a breaking news alert. To be the first to know about what’s happening on campus or in Evanston, sign up for breaking news alerts here.

The Daily has finished print publication for Fall Quarter. It will resume Tuesday, Jan. 4. Until then, www.dailynorthwestern.com will be updated with breaking news and complete coverage of the TicketCity Bowl.