Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Bumming around Belmont

Past the shady tattoo parlors and hookah lounges are vintage clothing stores and cute cafes, venues and places that make Belmont Avenue a breath of fresh air from the day-to-day student life in Evanston.

Beyond the Wall

In addition to a considerable poster collection, much of the store is filled with fun, useless things akin to the apartment section of Urban Outfitters. This means at least an hour of cooing over the various themed displays of Marilyn Monroe and Star Wars. Whether you will actually end up buying something is uncertain, but nevertheless, it’s a fun place to explore.

Ann Sather

The cinnamon rolls so lauded by Rachael Ray do not disappoint. The rolls are wholesome, with a subtly rich and distinct flavor that trumps store-bought rolls. In addition to the cinnamon goodness and other freshly baked goods, you can sit down for some Swedish cuisine at breakfast or lunch. It is a bit busy on weekends but maintains a very cozy, family-friendly environment.

Murphy’s Red Hots

Above all other things, Murphy’s will dish up a good Chicago-style hot dog. The walls are filled with Coca-Cola signs and Murphy’s merchandise daring anyone to question its legitimacy. The hot dog itself was pretty satisfying, with the messiness expected of authenticity and good, fresh ingredients.

Kickstand Espresso Bar

Just down the street from Belmont Army, it’s hard to miss the big, blue stylized sign silently screaming hipster. Inside, it’s your average but charming café with interesting wall art and friendly baristas. Be careful ordering drinks because everything is in “European” sizes which means their large is equivalent to the Starbucks grande.

Belmont Army – 4th floor: Vintage Clothing and Accessories

If you can make it up four flights of stairs, the vintage clothing level feels like a great find. In addition to every article of clothing you can think of, there is a bedazzling wall of dresses in every shade and pattern that’s a quilter’s dream come true. Though considerably well organized for a vintage clothing store, it still takes a while to find something worth buying with dodgy sizes and deceptive displays. The price range is also extreme from $1 t-shirts to $45 berets, but the pricier things are well-made, hand-stitched garments from independent brands.

Uncle Fun

Uncle Fun is further from the El stop than most stores but it’s a great place to end a Belmont adventure. Things hang off the walls, fill the corners and create a maze of fun, cheap merchandise that is a combination of the creepy, weird and nostalgic. Some items include insulting coasters, glittery unicorn tattoos, and a sizeable postcard collection. Moreover, the workers and owners are very friendly and accustomed to striking up conversations with Northwestern students.