Blotter: Convicted felon found with illegal dogs

Convicted felon found with illegal dogs

The Evanston Police Department arrested a convicted felon Sept. 10 for illegally owning unsterilized dogs in his home on 2102 Jackson Ave., according to an EPD news release.

Shelton Bell was in possession of two unlicensed, non-neutered pit bulls with expired rabies vaccinations. In addition to the dogs, police found a protective suit and equipment used to train dogs after the execution of a search warrant.

The arrest was the culmination of a three-month-long investigation that began with a citizen’s report of animal cruelty, Cmdr. Tom Guenther of the Evanston Police Department reported in the news release. Bell was charged with two misdemeanor counts of neglecting owner duties and two misdemeanor counts of prohibited possession of certain dogs by felons.

Residents charged with ecstasy possession, child neglect

Two residents were arrested Aug. 24 after EPD’s Neighborhood Enforcement Team successfully executed a narcotics search warrant.

The team’s detectives found Ecstasy at the home of Sean and Melissa Larden, 540 Hinman Ave. Their residence was also deemed unfit for human occupancy after detectives found garbage, spoiled food and insects all over the house, Guenther reported in a news release. The couple’s three children were taken to a hospital.

Sean Larden was charged with one felony count of unlawful possession of a controlled substance and one misdemeanor count of unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia. Both Sean and Melissa Larden were charged with six misdemeanor counts of endangering and neglecting a child.

Girl escapes after man grabs arm

Police arrested a man who approached an 11-year-old girl and grabbed her arm two weeks ago, police said.

An 11-year-old resident was walking to school when Joseph Lee Cox approached her, according to an EPD news release. Cox reportedly asked for her name, her age and where she goes to school before approaching her and grabbing her arm. She was able to escape, and she alerted her mother, who reported the incident to the police.

Police charged Cox with two misdmeanor counts of battery and disorderly conduct.

Man attempts to sell stolen bike

Police arrested a man Sept. 8 after he attempted to sell a bike he stole the day before, Guenther said in an EPD news release.

Robert Graham, of 69 E. 101st Place in Chicago, allegedly stole a bike from a parking garage Sept. 6. Graham was caught on the security tapes stealing a bike by removing its rear tire, which was attached to a lock. He then took another bike’s rear tire and attached it to the first bike.

Two days later, officers saw a man matching the description of the man from the security tapes, and an Evanston resident alerted police that Graham attempted to sell him the bike for $20.

Police charged Graham with one misdemeanor count of criminal trespass to land and a city ordinance violation for riding his stolen bike on the sidewalk. He was also charged with a misdemeanor count of unlawful possession of drug paraphernalia after police found a glass tube on him during a search.