Bands ‘battle’ to open for Spektor

Facing off for 30 coveted minutes at Dillo Day, eight bands will take the stage at Tommy Nevin’s Pub Evanston in a bid to open for afternoon headliner Regina Spektor.

Battle of the Bands opened Thursday night with performances from Kara and the Creepers, The Main Men, The E.L. Cross Project and Spearmint Rhino. The two-night event, sponsored by Mayfest, will draw about 400 students this weekend, Mayfest representatives said.

Bands submitted applications to play in the competition in April. More than 20 bands applied, said Sarah Oh, co-special events director. Oh said Mayfest expected Battle of the Bands to draw 100 students at any given time. About 50 students were present for the beginning of the event, but more continued to trickle in as the night progressed.

“We have so much Northwestern talent,” said Oh, a Weinberg junior. “It’s really the cream of the crop of Northwestern bands.”

Kara and the Creepers kicked off the 18-plus, $5 event as students crowded the stage at Nevin’s.

Tim Horvath, an employee of Nevin’s working security, said the event went well and drew a crowd.

“I gotta give it up for anybody who’s willing to get up there and do their thing,” he said.Dan Dozark, The E.L. Cross Project’s keyboardist, said the event was the band’s first gig.

“My friend E.L. made some tracks on GarageBand one day and he just started playing them for his friends,” the Bienen and Weinberg freshman said. “We said, ‘Hey, why don’t we just try playing this live?'”

The E.L. Cross Project is composed of underclassmen, with five freshmen and two sophomores.

“It’s great to share our music with everyone,” Dozark said.

The bands are judged by Mayfest’s co-chairs, Katie Halpern and Michael Gebhardt, as well as “American Idol” contestant John Park and former Associated Student Government President Mike McGee. The judges, sitting at a table in the back of the bar, tapped their feet to the music and scribbled notes on each band’s tightness, or how well they play together; maturity, or development and sound; audience, including reaction and interaction; and natural talent.

“They’re all talented,” said McGee, a Communication senior. “It’s going to be tough.”

Park, a member of the student a cappella group Purple Haze, said he was taking careful notes to make sure he remembered each band.

The Weinberg junior said judging bands was a refreshing change from being judged on “American Idol.” He was voted off the popular show March 4.

“It’s nice, takes the pressure off me,” he said. “I’m enjoying it.”

Kelsey Wild, Ken Ross with Bread and Butter, Looney and the Tunes and The Royal Senders will play tomorrow night.

“It’s just a great opportunity for student musicians to showcase their stuff,” co-Special Events Director Josie Chai said. “I feel like there aren’t too many shows where this gets to happen. The purpose is obviously to get a student band up on stage for Dillo Day, but it’s also just to have fun.”[email protected]

Bands ‘battle’ to open for Spektor