Thumbs: Burnham, schools, baseball

Thumbs up to A&O for bringing Bo Burnham to campus as the spring speaker.

Speakers and comedians that come to Northwestern can sometimes feel like they are speaking down to students. With Burnham, this won’t be the case. At 19 years old, Burnham is one of us. As a member of our generation, he will be able to entertain us in a way that is specific to our age group. In addition to this, his style is totally different than the Winter Quarter performer, Tracy Morgan. Burnham is less profane, and his penchant for musical comedy contrasts Morgan’s more traditional observational humor.

Thumbs down to overcrowding in two different elementary schools in Evanston/Skokie School District 65.

School board members have been trying to deal with the problem, but thus far they are not having much success. Unless the board finds another solution soon, there is a chance that 22 students from Willard and Dewey Elementary schools will have to be moved to schools in other districts next year. We understand budget overcrowding is not an easy problem for the school board to solve, but it is always bad when kids have to be shipped to different districts.

Thumbs up to senior creative writing major Veronica Roth for getting her young adult novel published.

Let’s be honest: At a school as full of talented people as NU, it can be tough to have accomplishments stand out. Veronica Roth’s selling of her novel, though, is incredibly exciting. It is scheduled to come out in the summer of 2011, and Roth has signed a contract to write two more books and turn the story into a trilogy. The Daily can’t wait to read all of them.

Thumbs up to Evanston and NU officials for going to Springfield for Evanston Day.

From noise and public urination to the Great Room, town-gown tensions have been higher lately than at any time in Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl’s relatively brief tenure. Because of this, it was especially nice to see officials from both travel together to Springfield to lobby for money for projects in Evanston. This was the first Evanston Day in history, and The Daily hopes the event continues, both to foster close relations between the city and the university and to obtain more funding for projects that benefit both residents and students.to NU’s baseball team, which is exceeding

Thumbs up to expectations and tied for the lead in the Big Ten standings.

In his 23 years of coaching baseball at NU, coach Paul Stevens has never finished higher than second place in the Big Ten. This season, Stevens’ squad has a chance to end the drought. The Wildcats sport a 9-6 record, good for a first place tie with Michigan. It’s a miraculous improvement, considering the team won just four conference contests last year. The turnaround would not be possible without significant contributions from sophomores Paul Snieder, Zach Morton, Geoff Rowan and Trevor Stevens, who have a combined .330 batting average. On the mound, sophomore Francis Brooke has stepped up as NU’s ace while junior Eric Jokisch is returning to his 2008 form. This team is built for the future, but its youth isn’t holding it back. To stay atop the standings, NU has to dominate in its three remaining series. Sweeps against Indiana and Michigan State, both tied for sixth place, are possible. If all goes well for the Cats, the conference crown will be decided in their penultimate series against the Wolverines.