Math programs at ETHS, local middle schools could change

Algebra and Honors Geometry classes at Evanston/Skokie School District 65’s middle schools may face changes in upcoming years.

In a review of the mathematics curriculum at a board meeting Monday night, board members and teachers hotly debated the possibility of expanding the Honors Geometry program to all middle schools and consolidating eighth-grade algebra and 1 Algebra Regular at Evanston Township High School.

Currently, Honors Geometry for middle school students is offered at ETHS and Chute Middle School, and ETHS algebra curriculum is used in both honors and regular level courses at middle schools.

Both arrangements have stirred controversy among parents and teachers.In regards to algebra, D65 teachers are concerned with the overlap between traditional high school curriculum and middle school courses.

D65 is looking to collaborate with ETHS on a solution.

Meanwhile, numerous residents expressed discontent with the current arrangement of geometry classes. More than 20 families and all middle school principals have expressed a preference for all students to take Honors Geometry at the middle schools, according to a memo released by the district.

Suzanne Farrand, curriculum coordinator for D65, said Evanston schools should phase out the option in which middle school students can take Honors Geometry at ETHS.

“I don’t see why we can’t offer it exclusively in middle schools,” she said. “We have teachers who are experienced and highly qualified, and we really think we have the capacity to offer excellent mathematics.”

However, some parents voiced concerns about eliminating the high school option, arguing it would not benefit students because the ETHS program is highly effective.

Board members also questioned the cost efficiency of having students taking Honors Geometry at both ETHS and in middle schools. Superintendent Hardy Murphy said consolidation would save more money.

Though board members and teachers addressed several concerns surrounding the alternative options, they reached no conclusive opinion.

Board members will further discuss consolidating Math 8 and 1 Algebra Regular this summer, according to a memo.Evaluating Math Pilot ProgramsMonday’s board meeting also included an evaluation and update from teachers on the math pilot program implemented in middle schools last year.

The program places three different textbooks that focus on state standards in middle schools. Currently, Chute is using Everyday Math and MathThematics; Haven is using MathThematics; BRMS, King Lab and Nichols are using the Connected Math Project.Student achievement results from the first year of the program show no consistent differences between the textbooks, Farrand said. The texts have facilitated more student inquiry in the classroom and less teacher lecturing, she said.

“The thing we want to teach kids to do is when math is hard, you can figure it out,” she said. “You don’t have to memorize things.”

The schools will re-evaluate the pilots at the end of the 2011-12 school year and determine if all schools should adopt the same text series.[email protected]