Basketball players, hip-hop artists perform at ETHS fundraising event

Hot Sauce, the world’s number one streetball player, two-steps to the throbbing hip-hop beat blaring in the background of Evanston Township High School’s gym. Bouncing past three other players, he sinks the ball effortlessly. He finishes off with his trademark gesture of pretending to pour some hot sauce on the other team just for show.

Streetball Legends beat Evanston’s Finest 113-108 on Saturday night in a celebrity basketball game benefiting the Deion Branch Foundation and the BAAM Youth Foundation. Deion Branch, former Superbowl MVP and current wide receiver for the Seattle Seahawks, sat on the sidelines with family and friends to watch the game.

Besides raising money for various organizations, Branch said the main goal of the game was to stop juvenile crime and give kids something fun to do on a weekend night.

“I’m just here to help raise awareness, to cease and stop the youth violence,” he said. “I want to be a part of that, to help this community. I hope other guys catch on to this in other states and try to do the same thing.”

Branch began the Deion Branch Foundation, which works to help those with meningitis, after his son was diagnosed with the disease six days after leaving the hospital. Although he was given only six months to live, he’ll be turning nine in April.

“That’s where I get my power from, that’s where I get my joy from each and every day, ” Branch said. “I don’t have anything to complain about.”

Branch worked with Evanston friends to put on the event. William Hicks, CEO of Sneakaboy Entertainment and one of the founders of the BAAM Youth Foundation, which works to stop youth violence, put on a similar event last year where Streetball Legends also beat Evanston’s team.

He said events like this give something for local students to get excited about.

“I had a great time, and it’s going to get bigger and better every year,” he said.The game attracted hundreds of residents, including Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl. “It’s good basketball and very loud music,” Tisdahl said. “I hope everyone’s having a good time.”

People also attended to hear musical acts which included hip-hop artists Tha Pope and Young G.O., who played during halftime.

Tha Pope, who is from Chicago but has family in Evanston, said he was looking forward to seeing Hot Sauce play.

“I’m definitely familiar with Hot Sauce and watched him on numerous occasions where he’s embarrassed people and did his thing,” the 21-year-old said. “I’m actually excited to see him perform, too.”

Because it was a charity game, fans cheered for whoever could pull off the most challenging move en route to the hoop. Among both teams, slam dunks were frequent.Northwestern basketball player Michael Thompson, who has played with some of the team members of Evanston’s Finest, sat courtside to root for his friends.

“I just wanted to come out and support my friends who I’ve played basketball with when I was younger,” the junior guard said.

At the lively event, organizers raffled off autographed jerseys, teenaged girls danced with Tha Pope and Young G.O. during their performances and young fans rushed the court to greet Hot Sauce.

“It’s like a party,” Hot Sauce said. “We’re out here to have fun. We just want everybody in the community to come out together.”