The Brow: Christmas Hits for the College Kid

As a perpetual choir kid, I loved my annual chance to eat, sleep and breathe Christmas carols every fall semester. While I no longer get to sing “Silent Night” in German every year, here’s the Xmas music that stays on my playlist even when it’s hot outside.

High Brow

Noel, Josh Groban

My high school chorus would travel to Disney every year to sing about 50 traditional carols on the Epcot stage, usually accompanied by minor celebs such as Phil Donohue haltingly reading the Christmas story. My obsession with Christmas carols probably stems from those years of free admission, even with the hideous, glittery costumes we’d wear and the ridiculous “I-won’t-sue-Mickey” releases they’d force our parents to sign. Josh Groban’s “Noel” covers all those holiday classics in the format I remember, but with a voice so beautiful I stop missing the free park tickets when I hear him singing. A huge step above the usual elevator-like arrangements of Christmas tunes, you’ll be reminded of your own childhood with well-done versions of “Little Drummer Boy” and “O Come all Ye Faithful.” Perfect for that holiday dinner with the parents or a gift for relatives you don’t know that well, you’ll feel sophisticated while listening to Groban’s rich tones and perfect enunciation. Don’t miss the tracks where he performs with the Mormon Tabernacle Choir…they’ll make you want to move to Salt Lake.

Mid Brow

Songs for Christmas, Sufjan Stevens

Sufjan Steven’s collected Christmas music is the perfect addition to any winter break, no matter your religion. His soothing melodies and combination of traditional and original content will keep you calm even when your family won’t stop yelling about wrapping paper. A collection of the shorter holiday albums he’s put out over the last several years, this compilation CD will make you laugh and cry with songs like “This was the worst Christmas ever!” and “Get Behind Me, Santa,” which features a fight between Santa and the song’s narrator. This CD is perfect for when you’re so sick of traditional carols you want to strangle the employees at Target just for making you endure the loop. The typical Sufjan indie-rock songs let you forget he’s singing about winter even if the weather won’t, and you might just start tapping your feet at the thought of elves again. Even your older relatives will like his soothing vocals on favorites like “Come thou fount of every blessing” and “Once in Royal David’s City” presented more acoustically that they’re probably used to but with the same words you’ll find in church services.

Low Brow

My Kind of Christmas, Christina Aguilera

While her rendition of “I’ll be home for Christmas” sounds more like something you’d listen to in a club than at home roasting chestnuts with your family, I’m not ashamed to admit Christina Aguilera’s much-insulted holiday album is kind of catchy. In a swine flu way, but still. Aguilera’s incredible range and rich voice make up for the fact that your favorite Bing Crosby songs are now set to a heavy jazz, and you’ll find yourself getting into her sensual tone almost against your will. Besides, how can you not laugh at a song called “Xtina’s Xmas?” Seriously, though, her stylings remind you why we all watched “Mulan” a million times, and her voice remains gorgeous even after her cultural relevance has faded. You might feel a little guilty listening to her in the car (with the windows up, perhaps?) but this CD is worth looking through your high school collection. Her sensual beats and jazzy duets might just brighten up your holiday.