The Weekly Memo

If I had to find an overarching theme for this week’s issue, it would have to be activities fairs and involvement on campus – all within the context of dollars and cents. Our cover story by Elise Foley on how Hillel is weathering the recession exemplifies how it’s hit close to home from the perspective of one (of many!) active campus umbrella organizations. The thoughtful piece also explores the trajectory of the less tangible, but arguably most meaningful, elements of investing oneself in an NU group – the collective experience of the involvement at hand. When budgets go awry, the challenge of sustaining and improving a campus organization tacks deeper significance onto those endless meetings and countless e-mails. And then there are those consulting-oriented job fairs luring my suit-attired peers to Norris on a near-daily basis. On these same premises, activities expos occurred a few weeks ago to help freshmen find their niches. There’s a parallel sense of exciting uncertainty to projecting a version (or two or three) of oneself in the near future. Should you ascend the ranks of ASG or jump on the SEED bandwagon? (Check out Elena Pinsky’s Head First on going green for more on the latter topic.) If the over-achieving Wildcat prototype is any indication, you’ll probably do both. For those of us a few years beyond picking extracurriculars, we’ve compiled words of wisdom from HR contacts at some high-caliber companies on how to get your foot in the door. On a lighter note, the Brow reviews can help you compile a soundtrack for all your resume revamping and midterm cramming, and when you need a break, head to one of the superb events in Week by Weekly. So take a deep breath, enjoy our latest issue – and if there’s a big decision on your horizon, consider sleeping on it. Turns out, my mother is usually right about those things.