Evanston promotes eco-friendly living with festival

If the large crowd at Saturday’s Green Living Festival was any indication, reusable grocery bags just aren’t “green” enough for Evanston residents anymore.This year’s festival was the largest since its creation three years ago, said Festival Chairman Fred Schneider.This year’s “Live Green, Live Inspired!”-themed festival was held at the Evanston Ecology Center and Ladd Arboretum, 2024 McCormick Blvd. The free event brought Evanston residents and various local environmental organizations together to share “green” tips and learn from exhibits.Exhibits featured nearly 75 different local green businesses and organizations engaged in everything from organic lawn care and raindrop recycling barrels to holistic health alternatives and eco-friendly maid services. A colorful display of vehicles at the center’s entrance captured onlookers’ attention. Tesla Motors electric sports cars, the Field Museum’s vegetable-oil-powered vehicle and new-age bicycles were among the large, eye-catching displays. Within the Ecology Center, children could participate in green-themed crafts, illuminate light bulbs with manual energy or read eco-themed books provided by the Evanston Public Library. Keynote speaker Howard Learner of the Environmental Law and Policy Center in Evanston led an environmental issue discussion, and provided forms for attendees to sign that urged for the passage of environmental initiatives, which would subsequently be delivered to both Illinois senators. Behind the Ecology Center, activist groups, private environmentally-friendly companies and Northwestern student groups set up tables.One NU table extended the familiar “One Book, One Northwestern” concept to include “One Evanston.” One Book Project coordinator Jeff Henderson said the lessons of this year’s selected book, “Hot, Flat and Crowded” by Thomas Friedman, can be applied to the city of Evanston.”Including Evanston residents furthers the goal of the program to encourage a larger conversation, not limited to NU’s three campuses,” Henderson said.Students for Ecological and Environmental Development promoted NU’s Climate Action Plan at the festival. The plan outlines NU’s commitment to alternative sources of energy and its efforts to enhance NU’s “green” presence in the Evanston community.”It is important for the residents to see that students are also fighting for the same causes,” said Communication junior and SEED Co-chair Elisa Redish . “Many of Northwestern’s initiatives are not cohesive or publicized, so it is easy for them to have a little animosity toward Northwestern feeling like ‘nothing is really happening.’ This way we can show some of our efforts.”SEED co-chair and Weinberg seniorSam Eckland added that forums like the Green Living Festival also help the organization bring fresh ideas to campus and set the stage for more town-gown partnerships. NU’s Solar Car Team, an extracurricular student group associated with McCormick, displayed its self-created solar car. The team had recently completed the 2008 North American Solar Challenge, which covered 2,400 miles between Dallas and Calgary. “We’ve had great support,” said Weinberg junior and team member Peter Fellenz. “People first seem interested because it is huge and reminds people of kitchen counter tiles, but the attention is great for this type of outreach and education.” Evanston resident and festival organizer Rick Nelson said he became involved in the initiative after hearing about previous Green Living Festivals.”It is great to see so many people coming together in support,” Nelson said. “I would definitely say this has been a success.”[email protected]