The Weekly Memo

Sometimes, that enjoyable yet naivety-inducing Northwestern bubble effect makes us forget the importance of staying in the loop about what’s happening in the world at large-and in turn, we also forget to take a moment to contextualize how major headlines will actually impact our lives. The health care debates exemplify something major and relevant to all of us (or someday, at least) that falls to the wayside due to our comfortably and completely out of touch daily priorities and concerns. Thankfully, Katie Glueck decodes all the latest lingo and drama pertaining to health care reform and insurance fracas as of late in our cover story. If you’re anything like us at The Weekly, the concept of being insured probably stays pretty distant; our dirt-digging on Searle’s handling of that pesky Swine flu situation for this week’s Confirmed and Denied reminded us just how messy it can be to get medical attention. And since it’ll only get more complicated post-grad, it can’t hurt to get clued in now. But don’t worry, for your interim concern and enjoyment, we’ve charted a slew of local alfresco imbibing spots in the latest Getting Graphic feature. Also check out Jeremy Gordon’s sweet ode to Taylor Swift, perhaps better known as of late as the accidental attraction of this year’s MTV Video Music Awards-Kanye, even your endless Chi-town repping can’t redeem that rude live television gaffe we’re still talking about (and YouTubing). While you’re at it, take a moment to live vicariously through some fellow Wildcats who opted to check out for a year in this week’s What If.