Opera feels recession’s squeeze, but NU program thrives

Performing in full costumes, wigs and makeup in front of a grandiose set, Northwestern opera students hit professional caliber in “The Consul,” which ran two shows last week. Though opera performers can thrive on NU’s stage, it will be difficult to find work after graduation, especially in this economy, students said.

“There’s less work out there,” said Music Prof. Jay Lesenger, director of “The Consul.” “Opera companies are scaling back, cutting budgets, letting staff go, doing less shows.”

Music and Weinberg senior Cristina Burack is finishing her coursework this summer and then moving to Vienna, Austria to look for a job and continue her voice studies. She said she might pursue a master’s degree abroad, where it is cheaper.

“It’s going to be tougher because funding for the arts is getting cut across the board,” she said. “Programs are shrinking. Grants to study are also getting cut.”

The recession has affected both small and large companies. The New York Metropolitan Opera has had to scale back and the Baltimore Opera Company folded after almost 60 years of operation.

“Opera is fighting for its life right now,” said Music Prof. Sunny Joy Langton. Because opera is one of the most expensive forms of performance art, Langton said “there is a trend toward looking at scaling back productions” and “doing smaller versions of productions.”

Samantha Barnes, who played the lead role in “The Consul,” said she considers herself “lucky” she secured a job after graduation. As a Young Artist at the Arizona Opera, she will perform secondary roles, act as an understudy for main roles and participate in the opera’s outreach program.

“I was completely prepared to not have a job in the fall,” the Music graduate student said. “The fact that this happened is a blessing.”

Music sophomore Kathryn Crabb has a summer internship with the Indianapolis Opera education program. But some summer programs, such as the University of Cincinnati College-Conservatory of Music, have not been able to continue because of financial circumstances, she said.

As the director of the Chautauqua Opera in New York, Lesenger said he participated in discussions last week about cutting back the company’s productions.

“The 2010 season at the Chautauqua will be somewhat different,” he said. “We’re going through a rough period but we’re optimistic. The economy will come back.”

With or without a recession, it is always hard for singers in the business, he said. But it will be particularly difficult as opera companies close and work becomes more competitive. But the program at NU is not threatened by current economic conditions, Lesenger said.

“The budget here is expanding,” he said. “The dean is very supportive of this program growing.”

Students said the high-production quality could be seen in “The Consul.”

“The production is just insane,” Barnes said. “The quality of the production is on par with some of the big companies.”

Performer Brian Rosenblum said it is important for the arts to maintain a presence during hard economic times.

“It’s the arts and music that transport us and take us away from things that are difficult,” the Music senior said. “In that sense, the arts will always survive and thrive.”