Chamber honors businesses, leaders at gala

Nothing says commerce like bagpipes, sentries and free whiskey. At least that was the concept behind the Evanston Chamber of Commerce’s 89th annual gala, which on Wednesday night transformed Tommy Nevin’s Pub into the British Isles-themed “Evanstonshire.”

The Chamber gala honored this year’s award winners for their contributions to business and the community. Lorraine Morton, former mayor of Evanston, received the Community Leadership award and brothers Robert and Fred Piron, owners of Belgian Chocolatier Piron, won the Small Businesspersons of the Year award. Bridget McDonough, founder and general manager of Light Opera Works, was named the NorthShore University HealthSystem’s Public Service/Nonprofit Person of the Year.

The attendees might come from the business community, but most saw the event as an opportunity to mingle with Chamber members and organizers dressed in tartan skirts and Arsenal jerseys. Tim Berg, who works for Farmers Insurance Group, recently joined the Chamber to attend the events and connect with potential clients and resources.

“I went to some events like this with my wife and was impressed by the people and program,” Berg said. “I thought this is worthy of my time and money, so I jumped on board.”

Chamber members said they consider the gala an opportunity to network and support local businesses.

“I’ve been an Evanston Chamber member for many years, and I always come to support the small businesses,” said Sharon Eckersall, the Evanston township assessor.

Eckersall has been a member of the Chamber for 40 years.

“We have to keep them going to keep our town going,” she said. “There are lots of empty storefronts.”

Despite the empty storefronts, Chamber members said they have a positive view of business in Evanston and opportunities for newcomers.

“People in Evanston appreciate what locally owned small businesses do for the community,” said Shaun Chinsky, owner of Good’s of Evanston and incoming Chamber board member.

This atmosphere – combined with a lot of hard work – allows new businesses to thrive in Evanston, Robert Piron said.

“Evanston is a great place to open up a business,” he said. “You just have to be smart about it and willing to put a lot of sweat equity into it.”

The Piron brothers put the “sweat equity” into establishing Belgian Chocolatier Piron, which has operated in Evanston for the past 23 years. The Chamber recognized their successful efforts at this year’s gala.

“It’s a huge honor. It came completely out of left field,” Piron said. “The day we got the letter saying we won the award, it was quite an afternoon of jubilance.”

His peers were more than happy to join in the celebration. Businessmen golfed in suits, professionals sampled free whiskey shots, and everyone looked to have a good time.

“A lot of people who don’t show up to other things come out to this one,” Berg said. “It’s the biggest event of the year.”