ETHS follows new CDC flu guidelines

Despite nearly 500 confirmed cases of swine flu in the state, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines for schools last week, retracting previous recommendations that schools with outbreaks should close.

Though the guidelines said school closure is “at the discretion of local authorities,” the CDC advised schools to focus on preventative measures, such as proper hygiene and early identification of the flu.

Evanston Township High School is currently following these guidelines, said Director of Safety Frank Kaminski.

“We’re just being very watchful and vigilant like everyone else,” he said. “We’re recommending what everyone is telling us to do on a national basis.”

The crisis team met last week to discuss what the school would do in the event of a closing, but the new guidelines have changed ETHS’s response, Kaminski said.

School nurses are monitoring students and attendance reports are being checked for fluctuations, he said. The school is also encouraging proper hygiene among students and staff.

“I think everyone nationally is cooperating,” he said. “Everyone is doing simple things.”

The guidelines highlighted the lack of severity in most U.S. cases, but local and state health officials continue to monitor the spread.

The CDC also urged school administrators to communicate regularly with public health officials for further guidance.

As of Monday morning, the Illinois Public Department of Health reported 487 cases in the state, including 356 in Cook County. However, ETHS has not reported a single case, Kaminski said.

CDC said school closure is not advised unless “there is a magnitude of faculty or student absenteeism that interferes with the (school’s) … ability to function.”

“Everyone is taking it cautiously and taking those appropriate steps to make sure that we do these things right,” Kaminski said. “I think everyone is concerned, and we’re hopeful everything will work out.”