Women’s Tennis: Mosolova growing in doubles

Growing up in Moscow, No. 1 Northwestern’s Maria Mosolova was used to playing for herself.

Before coming to NU, Mosolova was a top-flight singles player, winning both the Russian under-16 and under-18 titles and rising to No. 41 in the ITF World Junior rankings.

When she left Russia to attend college in America, she also left behind her individual focus.

Since joining the Wildcats, the sophomore has discovered the added pressure that comes from playing for her teammates.

“College tennis is so different because you have to play for a team,” said Mosolova, the nation’s top-ranked singles player. “It wasn’t really a hard adjustment for me – it was just different. I obviously have more responsibility every time we go out there, and know my point really matters every time.”

Mosolova, the No. 1 seed in the NCAA Singles Tournament, has continued to thrive individually, winning two Big Ten Player of the Year awards.

But her biggest contribution to the Cats may be her improved doubles play. After primarily playing third doubles last season, Mosolova now teams with senior Keri Robison to form NU’s second doubles pair.

The duo has improved rapidly throughout the year. Before the season, it wasn’t even certain that Mosolova and Robison would be teaming up. Now, the tandem has earned one of the 32 spots in the NCAA Doubles Tournament, sneaking into one of the field’s last openings. At the time of the selection, they were ranked No. 29 in the nation.

Mosolova had very little experience playing doubles when she came to NU, but said she has grown more comfortable on the court over the past two seasons. Her increased confidence has been apparent to Robison.

“To say she’s grown is an understatement,” Robison said. “She’s done such a great job learning the game and being open to suggestions. There isn’t anyone else I’d rather have on my side of the net.”

The duo has also helped lead the Cats to a nearly spotless record in dual-match doubles play. NU has dropped only one doubles point all season, but its prowess may be put to the test this weekend.

All three of the Cats’ potential opponents are strong in doubles play. NU opens with No. 72 Miami (Ohio), which has won 13 of its last 14 doubles points.

With a win, NU then faces either Kentucky or Ohio State in the regional finals. Kentucky has one of the nation’s top-ranked duos in No. 31 Carolina Escamilla and Caroline Lilley, while Ohio State gave NU a scare in doubles in each of its two regular season matchups.

NU will be relying on Mosolova to lead the way in both singles and doubles, as the team tries to make its seventh-consecutive trip to the round of 16.

The Cats know they can rely on Mosolova to be on top of her game this weekend, when her teammates will again be counting on her.

“The thing that people don’t know about Maria is that she’s a really great team player,” coach Claire Pollard said. “She’s really out for Northwestern tennis. She might be a superstar, she might be the No. 1 seed, but if you ask what’s more important – her individual success or Northwestern’s success – it’s not a tough decision for her.”