Student athletes volunteer, mentor at Evanston schools

For student athletes with little time to relax, sometimes it’s fun just to act like a kid again.

The Northwestern athletic department’s mentoring program gives these athletes the opportunity to have fun while contributing to the Evanston community. The department is collaborating with local elementary schools to bring student athletes into the classroom, where they play with the kids and serve as role models.

“The kids look up to these student athletes,” said Betsi Burns, director of student development in the NU athletic department and coordinator of the school mentoring programs. “They’re great role models and have lots of energy. It’s a win-win for both sides.”

The athletic department sends e-mails encouraging players on the various sports teams to mentor at Evanston elementary schools. Burns works with the individual schools to organize these programs.

At Orrington Elementary School, 2636 Orrington Ave., mentors put their athletic abilities to use in the physical education classes.

“It’s one of the best things I’ve started since I’ve been here,” said Matthew Allard, Orrington’s physical education teacher.

The NU students have volunteered at Orrington for the last four years. They participate in unit lessons or Friday free days, where they encourage students to incorporate exercise into their daily lives. Mentors play games ranging from tag to football – anything they want, as long as it involves physical activity.

“I’m getting a workout from them,” said Marnie Robbins, a Communication sophomore on the field hockey team.

Robbins began volunteering at Orrington during the winter off-season of her freshman year.

The mentoring program allows student athletes to volunteer whenever their schedules allow. Robbins participates in “Fun Friday” during the field hockey team’s off-season. Allard estimated that 10 student athletes volunteered at Orrington this year, with a mentor participating at least once each week.

“Even if they come just once, the kids love to have them, and I love to have them,” Allard said.

Robbins says she regrets having to leave Orrington when her practice and game schedule intensifies in the spring.

“We love coming,” Robbins said. “You walk in and their faces just light up.”

Student athletes have mentoring opportunities at other schools throughout the school year. Willard Elementary School collaborated with the athletic department to organize Northwestern student participation in the school’s extended learning program. The program ended last month, but the college athletes still visit to tutor the kids, help in gym and play at recess.

“The Northwestern students are very sharp kids,” said Shelley Carey, principal at Willard. “They’re able to be good role models to our students and encourage them to be good students.”

The student athletes enjoy the opportunity to inspire younger students, Burns said.

“They love doing it. I never have trouble finding volunteers to go into the schools,” she said.

She can count on Robbins to continue her work at Orrington. After two years mentoring at the elementary school, Robbins said she’ll keep coming back.

“It’s really nice to connect with younger kids and have them actually look up to you and like hanging out with you,” Robbins said. “I think it’s a really good thing for us to do, and it’s great that the athletic department gives us these mentoring opportunities.”