Kellogg ties for third in national rankings

Northwestern’s Kellogg School of Management was ranked third in U.S. News & World Report’s list of the best business schools.

The rankings, released on the magazine’s Web site Wednesday, use statistics and the opinions of peer institutions to determine the top graduate schools in the country. Harvard University came in first, with Stanford University ranking second. Kellogg tied for third with the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

Kathleen Hagerty, Kellogg senior associate dean of faculty and research, said she was happy with the ranking, which she said is consistent with Kellogg’s ranking in other publications.

“It makes it easier to recruit outstanding faculty, get outstanding students and get really good recruiters to come here to recruit our students,” she said. “You have to have the substance to get the ranking, but the ranking is also very helpful.”

Last year the school was ranked fourth on the U.S. News & World Report list.

Senior Associate Dean for Curriculum and Teaching Sunil Chopra said improvements in Kellogg programs may have helped the rise in ranking, although they don’t necessarily “relate directly.”

Over the past two or three years, he said, Kellogg has tried to improve its students’ global perspective and offer more opportunities for experimental learning. Also, he said Kellogg continues to do “relatively well” at placing graduates in jobs despite “trying economic times.”

Other NU graduate schools were also ranked by the magazine. NU’s education program was ranked seventh, the NU Law School ranked tenth on the list of top law schools, McCormick School of Engineering and Applied Science ranked 21st for best engineering schools and NU’s Feinberg School of Medicine ranked 19th for research.