Solange Knowles performs for students, prospies in Norris

Solange Knowles proved on Sunday night that she’s more than Jay-Z’s sister-in-law.

The energized performance was among events held this weekend to show prospective students that they, too, can find a community at Northwestern.

Knowles and opening acts 3D and Big Sean took to the stage in the Louis Room at Norris University Center in front of a crowd of about 60 registered students and their hosts, organizers said.

Planned by the student group For Members Only (FMO), under the umbrella organization of Multicultural Student Affairs, the event was meant to showcase the diverse facets of NU student life to admitted students, said outgoing FMO coordinator Zach Parker, a Communication and Weinberg senior.

Flanked by two backup singers and a pink pinstripe-clad band, Knowles put on a show that mixed Motown classics with her own, unique style. She also placed an emphasis on connecting with the audience, as the popularity of her college shows is “just picking up.”

“I think that it is really important to connect with the audience,” she said. “My music coincides directly with college – it’s a time to develop interests and break through molds.”

After a physical, animated performance that took her from one end of the Louis Room to the other, Knowles said she hopes to build a personal relationship with students.

“I am all about creating that real connection,” she said. “I have 90,000 followers on Twitter and update it more than anyone I know. I’m probably the weirdest thing that has ever happened to my fans. But I remember going through stuff – it’s really important to express yourself honestly.”

Audience members such as FMO member Ebony Page, a Weinberg and Communication freshman, appreciated Knowles’ intimate approach despite the long wait for her performance.

“She seemed real down to Earth,” she said. “I really liked the fact that she didn’t have bodyguards pushing her through the crowd, and that she wasn’t afraid.”

Knowles also acknowledged that FMO’s weekend immersion was a great opportunity for students – FMO worked with NU’s admissions office to cover admission for the lower-income prospective students and their FMO hosts. Members want to raise political, social and cultural awareness of the black community on Northwestern’s campus and in the Evanston area, Parker said.

African-American Students’ Association President Ama Appenteng said, especially at a time when many students are on the fence about their college decisions, it is helpful to see minority involvement on campus.

“I didn’t come on a minority-exclusive weekend, but it definitely would have helped my decision to be able to see African-American leaders,” the SESP junior said. “As much as people say that its divided it is important to know that there is a community here, that you can come to a group of people who have similar backgrounds, which is a component you share as a race.”

She also said the feeling of community can be comforting and makes the already-intimidating college experience easier. Events like those sponsored by FMO help show the quality of student life to prospective students, she said.

Each ASA organization works together to promote minority enrollment, Parker said, speaking of FMO’s work to promote scholarships to African American minority students as well as the other groups shown to the students this weekend.

“Being at a school like NU is hard,” Parker said. “The black community is so small. This weekend hoped to put stereotypes of NU aside and show that we may be small, but we are still thriving.”