Hundo’s fate uncertain with ownership changes

Despite recent name changes, ownership changes and attendance changes, the 1800 Club at 1800 Sherman Ave. remains the closest bar to Northwestern’s campus – for now.

Although the business – known among students as Hundo – is currently in operation, its lease expires in about a year, said bar employee Paul Ragano. After that, the future of the space will be completely in the hands of the NU administration.

NU purchased the building in 2005. Since then, the administration has imposed several stipulations, including regulations against hanging up signs and outdoor lighting, to reduce the cost to the university. NU will gain complete control of the space next year.

The bar itself has changed as well.

Located at the base of an office building, The 1800 Club has assumed a different owner three times and a different name twice in the past nine years. There were once neon signs illuminated with the name 1800 Club, and then banners hung outside reading “Animal House.” But now the space is bare, dim and uncertain.

Students said they are confused and often deterred from attending the business because of rumors regarding the bar’s status and its name.

They said it often looks completely dark and that the appearance of a crowded bar is a large factor in making plans for the night. Students also said they aren’t sure if the bar is even open due to a brief period of closing during management and name changes.

“I used to go a lot about two years ago,” said Communication senior Kelly Brown. “It’s just not the same anymore without the familiar bartenders.”

Other students said their rate of attendance has also dropped.

“I generally go for one of two reasons,” said Medill sophomore Brian Gailey. “If I want to go out and there is nothing else to do or if I don’t get into the Keg.”

But employees of the offices within the building said they would miss having the atmosphere of a bar below their work.

One of these employees, Monish Thawani, said he enjoyed the mix of business and fun.

“It’s great to go out with people after work,” he said. “Work hard and play harder.”

But these positive attitudes are not enough, Ragano said, adding that the bar isn’t doing enough business to stay in operation. He said the complex ownership history is not helping the matter.

Despite the restrictions and tight budget, Hundo is continuing business as usual. Throughout the week, it houses concerts, karaoke and popular DJs in an effort to attract students.

“We’re ending (our) year right,” Ragano said. “We’re going to show NU students how Hundo used to party.”