ASG appoints new VP for finance and public relations director

The Associated Student Government quickly confirmed two members of its executive board by unanimous votes Wednesday. Communication freshman Kelsey Kenady was confirmed as the interim public relations director and SESP junior Malavika Srinivasan became the financial vice president for the upcoming year.

Srinivasan, who had previously served as a non-Senate member of the Student Activities Finance Board, had already been selected by the search committee and encountered no questioning on Wednesday.

In an earlier meeting of the executive board, ASG President Neal Sales-Griffin lauded Srinivasan for her work in and outside ASG. She has served on the executive boards of Delta Delta Delta sorority and the Panhellenic Association, as well as having been a class chairwoman for Northwestern Class Alliance.

“She was selected not only by her broad leadership capabilities, but for her broad commitments beyond ASG,” said Sales-Griffin, a SESP senior.

When asked about ASG’s financial situation for the upcoming year, Srinivasan was circumspect with details. She said that a stagnant ASG activities fee and rising demand from successful programming will make the funding process more contentious.

“The funding cycle will likely be tighter than it was last year,” she said. “We might look to a funding increase in future years, but this year we’re just going to have to see how it goes.”

As far as major changes to the funding process goes, any reforms will have to be made slowly, Srinivasan said.

“It’s a long-term solution,” she said. “I think it’s something that we really need to proceed into cautiously with student groups on board, so that it’s amicable to them.”

Meanwhile, Kenady underwent her entire approval process on Wednesday, and was questioned by the executive board before being placed before Senate for confirmation. She described her experience as a student government activities director at her high school as well as her time as a personal public relations agent to Sales-Griffin.

Sales-Griffin said his previous experience with Kenady assured him of her capabilities.

“In regards to that, she’s had a great experience in all the workings of ASG,” he said.

Former financial vice president Seva Rodnyansky said the PR director position has a heavy workload, but Kenady said the PR committee, which had only three members last year, had grown enough to lighten it.

“We have at least 10 people behind us, and I think it’s a lot easier,” Kenady said. “There are a lot of people who are very willing to help.”

Kenady said that her primary concern in her new role was making sure students know what services ASG already provides.

“We do a lot of stuff that students don’t necessarily identify with ASG,” she said. “Right now people say, ‘Oh that’s a really cool service that someone does.'”

– Michael gsovski