Students bring Africa to NU

An enthusiastic crowd cheered on models of all ethnic backgrounds as they strutted down the stage wearing bright, bold dresses at the African Student Association’s ninth annual culture show. The fashion show was just one slice of culture presented at the event Sunday, which also included singing, dancing and skits.

ASA presented “Courting our Heritage” at 5 p.m. in Norris University Center’s McCormick Auditorium to an audience of more than 100.

Part of the goal of the show was also to oust stereotypes about Africa.

“Africa isn’t what you see on television 100 percent,” said McCormick junior Jonathan Bragg. “There are a lot of positive aspects too that we try to bring out.”

The free event focused on five different scenes featuring a Nigerian student showing an American exchange student from Northwestern what everyday life is like in Africa. The two main characters were a Nigerian, played by Sijh Diagne, a Weinberg junior, and Bragg, who played himself as an exchange student.

The different scenes took place in a university classroom, a primary school, a home, a cafe and a nightclub. The skit provided a platform for representations of culture that included a fashion show with African-inspired clothing by Temi Ade, a poetry reading, dancing and singing.

“We are showcasing how culture is preserved even though you’re in an academic setting,” said ASA president Nancy Fru.

During Act Five, the Night Club scene, students showed how dancing could differ among cultures. The Nigerian student grooved to modern African music while the American student attempted to imitate.

The performers wanted the audience to understand that life in Africa can be very similar to life in the United States, Diagne said.

“We aren’t that different,” the Senegal native said. “We just come from a different background.”

The annual event, which used to be just a fashion show, focuses on a different part of Africa each year, said vice president for ASA Yemi Adetiba.

“We wanted people to get a taste of what everyday life is like in Nigeria,” Adetiba said.

Traditional African music pumped through the room as two African dance groups, Khalidah and ADDE, separately rounded out the cultural sampling for the audience.

“We just wanted to emphasize that being aware of culture is an integral part of being African,” Fru said.

After the event, ASA members, performers and the audience congregated for a reception in Dittmar Gallery. Attendees could sample food, purchase clothing from the fashion show and discuss their reactions to the show.

“I liked the university scene for the similarities it presented between Africa and the United States,” said Maryam Majekodunmi, a Weinberg junior.

Other students said they didn’t know what to expect.

“I don’t know much about African culture, so I thought it would be good to come out and see it,” said Regan Radcliffe, a McCormick sophomore.