Women’s Basketball: De-saster in the post

Allyssa DeHaan has been giving Northwestern headaches ever since she put on a Spartans’ uniform.

Michigan State’s 6-foot-9 junior center has presented matchup problems for just about every team the Spartans have faced because of her considerable height advantage. The Wildcats have yet to come up with any kind of an answer for her.

In three starts against NU (5-13, 1-6 Big Ten), DeHaan has averaged 19.3 points, 6 rebounds and 3.3 blocks per game, shooting 61 percent from the field. She also tallied a combined 19 points and 11 boards off the bench in two games against the Cats during her freshman year.

“She’s a good player,” NU coach Joe McKeown said. “Good hands, good touch, she uses the backboard. She’s got some old-school skills, basically.”

Two weeks ago, the Cats lost 64-52 to the Spartans (12-6, 5-2) on the road. DeHaan fueled the victory, scoring 19 points and grabbing eight rebounds in just 25 minutes.

McKeown said his team would have to make some changes in Thursday’s rematch to avoid a repeat performance.

“(In) the second half she got loose and she changed the game a little bit,” he said. “We’ve got to make it a lot tougher for her. We’re going to have to do some things different.”

One of the main problems NU ran into in the first game was early foul trouble. Sophomore center Amy Jaeschke, the Cats’ tallest player at 6-foot-5, picked up her second foul nine minutes into the game. Jaeschke had to go to the bench early and played only 28 minutes, her lowest total of the season.

NU’s other primary presence in the paint, senior forward Ellen Jaeschke, had three fouls by halftime.

With their two best post players watching from the sidelines, the Cats were at an even bigger disadvantage trying to guard DeHaan as well as battle her on the glass.

“They out-rebounded us by a ton last game,” junior forward Kristin Cartwright said. “Boxing out everyone is huge, but especially (DeHaan) because she has such length.”

For the game, Michigan State out-rebounded NU 39-29. Six Spartans finished with at least four boards, while senior guard Erin Dickerson led the Cats in rebounds with five – one more than Amy and Ellen had combined.

Even though the early fouls put McKeown’s squad in a hole last game, the younger Jaeschke said being tough with DeHaan is key to have a chance to stop her.

“If you’re more physical with her, she struggles a lot,” Amy said.

But sending DeHaan to the foul line has not paid off. The junior is a career 79.1 percent free throw shooter.

“You can’t do the Hack-a-Shaq with her,” McKeown said.

The Cats had other problems besides DeHaan in the loss two weeks ago. Cartwright said Michigan State’s zone was effective, and NU’s offense had trouble finding gaps and getting good looks.

NU made 5-of-23 shots in the first half, and because of the cold outside shooting Michigan State was able to focus even more on shutting down Amy Jaeschke. She finished with seven points, just the third time this season she failed to reach double-digits.

McKeown stressed the need to have a balanced offensive attack and said teams that have beaten Michigan State have been productive both on the perimeter and down low.

Still, frustrating DeHaan will be central to NU’s upset bid. When she is on her game, the floor is opened up for Michigan State’s outside shooters.

“As long as we handle her, then everyone can be worried about their own player,” Cartwright said.