Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

NFL team hires Cat’s O-line coach

The architect of Northwestern’s remarkable turnaround at offensive line is taking his expertise to the next level.

Bret Ingalls, the Wildcats’ offensive line coach and running game coordinator, will leave the team to be the running backs coach for the NFL’s New Orleans Saints, team officials reported Tuesday.

Ingalls had been NU’s offensive line coach since 2006.

“This is a terrific opportunity for Bret,” coach Pat Fitzgerald said in a statement. “He is a tremendous teacher and will make an impact at the next level.”

This season, Ingalls coached an offensive line replete with inexperienced players, including a transfer from the defensive line and three redshirt freshman starters. Yet the line exceeded everyone’s expectations and became of the year’s biggest surprises.

Ingalls’ unit gave up just 22 sacks in 13 games, tied for second in the Big Ten and seven fewer than last season. The line surrendered just three sacks in NU’s first six games, helping anchor the team’s fast start.

Ingalls also coordinated the team’s rushing attack for the first time this season, helping the offense overcome injuries to its top two running backs. Despite losing senior tailbacks Tyrell Sutton and Omar Conteh late in the season, the Cats averaged 141.8 yards per game on the ground, including 220 yards rushing in a 24-17 upset at then-No. 20 Minnesota.

-STAFF REPORTS