Something going around: Searle finds season’s first flu case

The flu season has officially begun for Northwestern’s.

Last week, Northwestern University Health Service treated its first influenza-positive patient this academic year, said Dr. Donald Misch, the service’s executive director.

Misch expects the peak of flu season to last from mid-January to March.

“Over 30,000 people die (from the flu) every year, so everyone should get the shot,” said Sharon Renier, an epidemiologist with the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Influenza is a virus that produces more severe symptoms than the common cold, sometimes including nausea and vomiting.

It is transmitted through the air by coughing or sneezing and through physical contact with an infected person’s saliva, blood and feces.

“Students especially should get the shot,” Renier said. “If you do happen to get the flu, you need to stay home because you would transmit the virus to others.”

Most symptoms, which include chills, fever, fatigue, aches and severe headaches, last for two to three days, although some can linger up to five days.

Many in the medical community are concerned due to a recent discovery indicating that about 95 percent of this year’s infections have been resistant to Tamiflu, the most commonly prescribed flu medication.

“We tell people to still get a flu shot,” Misch said. “We still have a fair number left.”

Students are encouraged call the Health Service to make a vaccination appointment.