Women’s Swimming: Freshman starts year off strong

Freshman breaststroke swimmer Jenny Wilson needed only 1 minute and 3.29 seconds to announce her presence to the rest of the Big Ten.

In her first collegiate event, a dual meet against then-No. 8 Indiana in October, Wilson won the 100-yard breaststroke, something she has done four of the five times she has raced the event this season.

“She’s fearless,” said head coach Jimmy Tierney. “She’s a racer, and that’s one of the highest compliments I can give to a swimmer. She is not afraid to stand up and race against anybody.”

Wilson, a journalism major from Bethesda, Md., has won seven individual races in six meets this season. During the team’s recent winter training trip to Florida, she took first in the 100- and 200-yard breaststrokes, helping the No. 21 Wildcats pick up three wins and improve their record to 6-2.

“It’s exciting coming to college and competing for a team,” said Wilson, who was named D.C. girls’ Swimmer of the Year in 2007 by The Washington Post. “In high school, it was more individual competition. The team is such a great atmosphere here, and it’s really been great to have everybody cheering you on and watching other people swim really fast in-season gets you excited.”

Competing with her teammates every day in practice is one of the reasons Wilson has been able to contribute to the Cats this season, Tierney said.

“When she started racing here, it didn’t take her long to realize that she could compete at a very high level,” he added. “She works hard every single day, and that’s one of the things that makes her special. She races in practice, wants to be successful every day in practice. That’s just a huge characteristic of a champion.”

Wilson is also technically strong in the breaststroke, which has helped her make the smooth transition from high school swimming, said Tierney.

“Breaststroke is a big rhythm and timing stroke,” he said. “She does a good job of keeping that in sync. When she gets up and races in a meet, it just comes. She doesn’t have to think about it too much. She just gets out and goes. And she’s a terrific kicker, probably the best breaststroke kicker I’ve had in over 10 years.”

Despite her individual success, Wilson’s focus is on the team.

“I want to do everything I can to help the team meet its goals by helping score at Big Ten (Championships) and doing the best I can on relays,” she said.

Individually, Wilson chooses not to set very strict goals for herself, she said.

“I try not to set goals that are too precise,” Wilson said. “I don’t want to put too much pressure on myself to do things that I’m not capable of, and I don’t want to put limits on what I am capable of.”

But with her talent and drive, she is capable of a lot, said Tierney.

“If she continues to work hard and races like she does in all of our dual meets, she’s going to be successful,” said Tierney. “I think she could be in the finals of the Big Ten (Championships). She has a chance to be an NCAA All-American, maybe in her first year. If it comes now, great. If not, it’s going to happen sometime. I just want her to continue to have fun. She seems to enjoy what she’s doing, enjoys being around the girls, and I think that’s a great approach to have right now.”