Women’s swimming: NU wins trio of dual-meet victories

The Wildcats closed out 2008 with three dual-meet victories during their annual winter training trip, beating Old Dominion (229-62), Oregon State (169-93) and host Florida Atlantic (207-81) on Dec. 20.

“I think it was a terrific training trip,” said Jimmy Tierney, Northwestern women’s swimming coach, about the team’s nine-day stay in Florida. “The main thing we were trying to do is get a lot of great training and, at the same time, do some team building and bonding. Just strengthening our ties as a unit. It was one of the best trips I’ve ever had, even better than I expected.”

The three victories in the five-team meet bolstered the No. 21 Wildcats’ (6-2, 1-2 Big Ten) winning record.

Freshman Jenny Wilson grabbed victories in the 100- and 200-yard breaststroke, while junior Emily Wong picked up wins in the 50- and 100-yard freestyle.

“Emily’s been real consistent this year,” Tierney said. “She just seems to be prepared when meet time comes around.”

Wong’s leadership has also helped NU’s 200-yard freestyle relay team, which took first in the meet, Tierney said.

“You always want someone to lead the way, and Emily’s doing that,” he said.

Junior Kassia Shishkoff also took first in the 200-yard freestyle.

“[Kassia] seems to have raised her level up even more,” Tierney said. “Whenever you get down to that final lap, you want people who are going to be willing to dig down deep and bring a little something extra out, and Kassia is just outstanding at that. When Kassia’s in a race, you know she is going to give it everything she’s got, and she’s pulled off some terrific wins for us.”

NU will next face No. 25 Notre Dame and Toledo at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Norris Aquatics Center.

“I think Notre Dame’s probably the deeper team,” Tierney said. “There aren’t many weaknesses on that team, so we’re going to have to be ready to go, and I think we will be, but it’s going to be a tough meet for us.”