Baseball: Wait ’til next year

Michigan reliever Matt Gerbe’s pitch whizzed by second baseman Jake Owens and into the catcher’s glove for a called third strike.

And just like that, Northwestern’s season was over.

It was season in which the Wildcats defied lowly preseason expectations and gave themselves a chance to win every weekend. But in the end, NU’s year was defined by close calls and missed opportunities.

The Cats (21-28, 14-18 Big Ten) saw their unpredictable spring come to a close at the hands of Michigan (42-12, 26-5), the conference’s top-ranked team, last weekend in Ann Arbor, Mich.

The 3-1 series loss left NU out of the postseason for the fourth time in five years, as Indiana swept Michigan State to grab the sixth and final spot in the conference tournament.

“They played hard, they played well,” coach Paul Stevens said. “In the end, it just was not meant to be.”

The result also signaled the departure of some of NU’s most prolific players. But senior center fielder Aaron Newman said that while he was disappointed, he was satisfied with how he ended his university career.

“I was really proud of the way the guys kept their heads up and kept fighting,” he said. “That is what this team is all about.”

While the team’s seniors will be missed, the weekend did provide a glimpse of the Cats’ promising future.

In Friday’s nightcap, with the weight of NU’s season on his shoulders, freshman Eric Jokisch put on one of the team’s best pitching performances of the year. With a mix of off-speed pitches, Jokisch kept Michigan’s potent offense off balance all night.

He struck out All-American designated hitter Zach Putnam twice, throwing a complete game shutout – the Wolverines’ first in over two years.

“I cannot tell you how in awe I am of his intestinal fortitude,” Stevens said. “This kid has got ice water in his veins.”

The offense did its part to support the young lefty, putting up two runs early, including a towering home run by designated hitter Tony Vercelli to give the Cats a 2-0 win.

“We needed to win that game,” Jokisch said. “I think that desperation really showed on the field.”

While the gutsy victory gave the Cats a glimmer of hope heading into Saturday’s finale, a poor showing in Friday’s opener had left them with too much ground to make up.

After NU’s tough 9-4 loss on Thursday night, the Cats came out strong to start the doubleheader.

NU opened the game with a run on three hits in the first to take the early lead. But the bats fell silent after that, managing just one hit for the rest of the game. The Wolverines took advantage, scoring six runs in the first three innings against starter Bo Schultz en route to an easy 7-1 victory.

“Bo had trouble with his spots early,” Stevens said. “And you cannot make mistakes against that offense.”

Yet in Saturday’s final game, when the Cats needed it most, its pitching fell apart.

Starter Joe Muraski lasted only two and two-thirds innings, giving up four runs on four hits before being pulled in favor of reliever Matt Havey.

Havey did not fare much better. The senior gave up seven runs on eight hits in just one and a third innings of work, as the Wolverines closed out the series with a commanding 11-2 victory.

In total, NU’s five relievers walked nine Michigan batters, giving the Cats’ offense no chance to mount a comeback.

“Too many free passes,” Stevens said. “It killed us.”

While the season did not turn out the way the Cats had hoped, it did provide a good foundation for future success.

“The seniors did a great job of setting an example of how to lead a team,” first baseman Jake Goebbert said. “That is definitely something we can build off of next year.”

Though the team loses five starters to graduation, it will be boosted by the return of sophomore pitcher Cole Livermore to an already sturdy rotation.

“While we would have like to won this weekend, I am very excited about the future,” Stevens said. “I think we have the chance to be very competitive next season.”