Baseball: Wildcats get more from their ‘D’

Shortstop Tommy Finn hustled to his right to field a sharply hit ground ball. As he leapt back on one foot, the ball flew out of his glove, speeding on target into first baseman Jake Goebbert’s glove to end the inning.

The defensive gem in the second game of Saturday’s doubleheader seemed difficult to the average spectator. But it has become a routine occurrence for Northwestern’s developing infield.

“We actually work on those plays during down time in practice,” Finn said. “We try the craziest things so that if it ever happens in a game, you’ve seen it before.”

The extra practice proved worthwhile as the Wildcats’ defense played a key role in earning a series split against Indiana last weekend.

Even in Sunday’s 14-12 offensive slugfest, the Cats showed energy and passion on the defensive side of the ball. They ran after ground balls and laid their bodies out to make sure they came up with the catch.

The defensive effort is especially vital this late in the season, with NU sitting in the No. 6 spot in Big Ten play entering the final weekend.

“There is a real sense of urgency now,” third baseman Chris Lashmet said. “Every play matters. I think that has really energized us.”

As the offense found its groove Saturday, NU’s defense was instrumental in keeping the Cats’ intensity up. With NU up by one in the top of the fourth inning, Indiana mounted a threat. Hoosiers shortstop Tyler Cox hit a bomb to left field that looked like it was heading out.

Sprinting to the warning track, left fielder Mike Kalina twisted his body and reached up to snag the ball as he ran full speed into the wall.

The play, which Finn called “one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen,” had the dugout on its feet. It also sparked the offense, which added two runs in the bottom of inning.

“Defensive plays can be momentum swingers just as much as the offense,” Finn said.

While Kalina’s highlight-reel catch generated all the excitement on the field, it was the Cats’ awareness on every hit ball that was the difference on the scoreboard.

The team was more attuned to the flow of the game, catching runners trying to take an extra base or holding the ball instead of risking an error.

“I think we are finally coming into our own on the field,” Lashmet said. “It takes a while to get used to game speed, but now we are playing to the best of our abilities.”

But the strides made in the first half of the series dissipated in the second half. After not committing an error in the first two games of the series, NU had four in the final two, leading to two Indiana runs.

“Every play’s important,” Finn said. “You could be playing well all game, but if you get two ground balls in the ninth inning you still got to make them.”

With 31 runs crossing the plate in the series, the offense was there for coach Paul Stevens. But for his team to grab the final seed in the Big Ten tournament, defense is key.

“If we get some pitching performances and play defense, we are going to be in some ballgames next weekend against Michigan,” Stevens said.