Burglary victims reclaim items at station

Hundreds of residents from Evanston, Skokie and Wilmette have poured into the Evanston police station during the past two weeks in hopes of identifying their stolen TVs, computers, iPods, digital cameras and jewelry.

North Shore burglary victims were asked to come to the station, 1454 Elmwood Ave., after police seized more than $100,000 worth of property in a drug raid Feb. 15. Items recovered, which police believe were taken in up to 20 burglaries in the North Shore area over the past six months, ranged from power tools and stamps to expensive watches and silverware.

At a Feb. 21 news conference, Cmdr. James Elliot of the Evanston Police Department announced the seizure and welcomed the public to come to the station to view the loot.

“I was like, ‘Wow,'” Elliot said, at a press conference. “Seriously, it’s a tremendous amount of property.”

Public viewing of the property ended Monday, said police Cmdr. Thomas Guenther. The goods are still in the station but are now in inventory. Victims will still be able to view the haul by calling the police department to set up an appointment.

Police said they were happy with the public viewing phase.

“I think the viewing was successful as far as giving people the opportunity to reclaim their items,” Guenther said.

The process can also kick up further proof against the burglars. Already, there is an additional charge against Rengay Frazier, 36, one of the men arrested in the raid.

Frazier was charged with possession of stolen property Feb. 22 after a gift certificate netted in the raid was verified as an item taken in a November 2007 burglary, said Elliot at the time, adding that police were getting “more items identified daily.”

Frazier previously had been charged with weapons possession and drug charges on the day of the raid. He was released last week on $70,000 bail and will next appear at Circuit Court in Skokie March 13.

Police plan to auction off the unclaimed property.

But if you’re in the market for potentially stolen property, you may have to wait, Guenther said.

Because even the unclaimed items may have an impact on the trial, they will stay in police custody until the legal system has run its course