Misdemeanor charges dropped against NU faculty for activity during pro-Palestinian encampment

Music by the numbers: make believe, chatty cathy and elephant gun

Friday Feb. 22 @ Subterranean

Make Believe, Singer, De Triomphe $8 adv / $10 door

Once in a long while, a band forms that is perfect for their time. The trouble is: their time is rarely perfect for the band. They’re usually ignored, misunderstood and underappreciated. And we don’t even know what we’ve missed til it’s gone. Make Believe is the band of our times – the only essential listening this century so far. Their music confronts what it means to be alive and aware at this moment in America. They’re caustic, jarring and overwhelming at times, but all the more truthful and beautiful. I could write thousands of words here on how and why they’re so great, and not even begin to capture it. If you see any band play this decade, let it be Make Believe.

Sunday Feb. 24 @ Beat Kitchen

The XYZ Affair, Tell Your Friends, Chatty Cathy $10

The XYZ Affair is a power-pop band from Brooklyn that sounds as unique as you’d expect any power-pop band to sound. Being from Brooklyn doesn’t change this, either. A few years back, the borough had a fertile music and art scene. But music scenes are like stocks – as soon as the press knows, it’s already too late. The scene’s dead, the stock’s sold and anyone who was gonna make money on the deal already made it. The XYZ Affair is just one of many Brooklyn-grown disappointments. Save your $10 for distinct, home-grown music. Like Make Believe.

Wednesday Feb. 27 @ Double Door

Elephant Gun, Andrea Amos, Adam Setzer $5

This show wouldn’t be worth writing about if it weren’t so cheap. And even at $5, I’m not sure anyone would enjoy going. Elephant Gun plays cock-country, like cock-rock but without the big hair and pyrotechnics. That leaves just some guys on stage with too much testosterone, a little bit of talent and a knack for over-asserting themselves. I don’t know if they expect people to take them seriously. If they’re joking, it’s not funny. They’re just trying to get laid the best way they know how (and for unattractive guys that means forming a band), so I guess I should stop hating. It’s just that music would be so much better if ugly guys found a new way to get girls.